• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Salt is good for ants: New study

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline klawfran3 - Posted October 23 2015 - 11:05 AM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

I just found this posted on another forum. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

http://www.berkeley....0/27_salt.shtml

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 23 2015 - 12:30 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Sunburst Ant Nectar contains an optimal amount of salt, because it is sometimes missing from captive ant diets.

Other users discussed the importance of salt in other topics, including sharing numerous scientific articles, some months ago.

Edited by drtrmiller, October 23 2015 - 12:51 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline klawfran3 - Posted October 23 2015 - 4:39 PM

klawfran3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Sunburst Ant Nectar contains an optimal amount of salt, because it is sometimes missing from captive ant diets.

Other users discussed the importance of salt in other topics, including sharing numerous scientific articles, some months ago.

ahh. I wasn't here a few months ago so I probably didn't see that. good to know!

This message brought to you by the Committee for the Education of Folks who Describe Arthropod Taxa as 'Not Interesting' (CEFDATNI)

#4 Offline AntsTexas - Posted October 23 2015 - 6:15 PM

AntsTexas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationLubbock, Texas

i'm gonna try this with s. invicta outside around my house and c what happens:

1. salt

2. sugar

3. salt and sugar

4. honey and salt

5. honey and sugar

Edited by AntsTexas, October 23 2015 - 6:16 PM.

Ant Queens found:

Solenopsis Invicta,  Solenopsis xyloni,  Brachymyrmex depilis/Sp,  Myrmecocystus Mimicus,  Pogonomyrmex barbatus,

Forelius pruinosus,  Camponotus sayi, Dorymyrmex insanus, crematogaster ashmeadi,

----------------------------------------

Ant Queens i have going right now:

camponotus sayi, solenopsis invicta, Myrmecocystus Mimicus, Forelius pruinosus

Pogonomyrmex barbatus, and some others (no i.d.)

---------------------------------------

YouTube:  AntsTexas

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/cdockray1

Facebook page:  AntsTexas

#5 Offline LC3 - Posted October 23 2015 - 7:08 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

If anyone is planning to experiment on this you would also need to take account in location and what species. Some ants also seem to favor certain sugars over others and the size and age of the colony may also be a factor.

• AntsTexas likes this

#6 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 24 2015 - 1:21 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Just offered my C. chromaiodes, C. americanus, C. castaneus, F. pallidefulva, and P. badius colonies 1% salt water and got total lack of interest across the board.

Slight derail but I've been noticing a few European sites advising against using distilled water to water ants.  I have pretty much always used distilled water, does anyone know what the reasoning behind this is?

Edited by Runner12, October 24 2015 - 1:36 PM.

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted October 24 2015 - 4:59 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

1% w/v salt is way too much.

Distilled water lacks micronutrients present in natural water, which may lead to deficiencies in captive colonies.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 24 2015 - 5:45 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I just went with 1% since that was the concentration mentioned in the article. I can dilute it a little more I guess. Ok lol, so if tap water is bad due to chemicals and distilled is too nutrient poor, what source of water is left? I have also read about bottled water being even worse quality than tap

Edited by Runner12, October 24 2015 - 5:47 PM.

#9 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 25 2015 - 9:10 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I use bottled water for every living thing of mine.

#10 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 25 2015 - 10:29 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Any particular brand or type you recommend?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users