• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Grout cracks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrittonLS - Posted September 27 2015 - 5:59 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas
So I've been trying my hand at some grout nests but I've noticed a lot of cracks in it after is dried, sometimes pretty deep. Could this be from using too much water when mixing the grout or maybe it's drying too quickly or unevenly? Any suggestions?

I've been using non-sanded grout and either play-doh or air dry clay to make the chambers and tunnels.

#2 Offline Huch - Posted September 27 2015 - 6:05 AM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
My grout nests cracked a lot I think because of uneven mixing or not enough water.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted September 27 2015 - 7:07 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I see cracks under a couple of circumstances.

Too much perlite    (it is easy to substitute extra sand in place of perlite)

The grout dried too fast

The mold material is something that can absorb or retain water - ex. water based clay or homemade plasticine (took me a while to figure this one out).  I only use oil based, never drying clay.

I have never seen cracks related to too much or too little water, I often pour my nests with thicker grout and my outworlds with really runny grout.  Neither crack if I avoid the 3 problems listed above.

• BrittonLS likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted September 27 2015 - 9:05 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Thanks, it's probably the material I'm using then, that makes sense. Although It's possible it's drying too fast too. I'll have to go grab some oil based clay I suppose. 

#5 Offline Miles - Posted September 27 2015 - 12:25 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

I only use oil based, never drying clay.

Do you have a link to a product page for this? I can't seem to find any that's affordable.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted September 27 2015 - 7:00 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I only use oil based, never drying clay.

Do you have a link to a product page for this? I can't seem to find any that's affordable.

Any non-drying clay will work.

I get mine from Michaels, about $3 a bar, Craft Smart Plastalina.   http://canada.michae...ow?pid=C_gc2804

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#7 Offline BrittonLS - Posted October 9 2015 - 8:22 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I got some bake clay and it has worked a whole lot better. Haven't noticed ant cracks at all. Although I have been letting it dry inside recently, so drying slower probably helps too. Thanks.

#8 Offline Crystals - Posted October 9 2015 - 9:12 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Glad it worked.  Thanks for letting us know!

My Colonies

#9 Offline TheAnswerIsTheLogic - Posted October 17 2015 - 5:52 AM

TheAnswerIsTheLogic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationRomania,Dambovita

You just need to mix more good the substrate and be carefull and don't let air going in

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users