• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First time hibernating; undeveloped larvae question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Offline prettycode - Posted September 25 2015 - 12:13 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I have a camponotus queen that bore one worker and laid about about 15 eggs. Most of the eggs turned to larvae, but they don't appear to have continued to grow since then (over the last 6 weeks).

Her and her single worker seem sluggish, hardly ever moving. She even fell over on her back when I moved the test tube slightly and was on her back for a good 10 seconds before she righted herself, like she's moving in slow motion.

They aren't eating any food I've given them since the worker arrived either.

The suggestion I got from a Facebook ant group was to hibernate them, so that's what I plan on doing--putting them in a cool dark place, only checking on them to make sure they have water.

My question is about these eggs and larvae. What happens to them during hibernation? Will they die? Will they grow? Will they stay in a stasis of sorts, and begin growing again once she's out of hibernation?

Edited by prettycode, September 25 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#2 Offline Huch - Posted September 25 2015 - 12:40 PM

Huch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
Pennsylvanicus and novaeboracensis do what you describe. I hibernated them in a refrigerator for several months, but they stayed in this state for several months after I woke them up. I ended up having to get rid of them.

#3 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 25 2015 - 1:14 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL
I've seen this problem often(I have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus. colony that has about 150 workers)This queen might be a dud.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#4 Offline prettycode - Posted September 25 2015 - 1:24 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Pennsylvanicus and novaeboracensis do what you describe. I hibernated them in a refrigerator for several months, but they stayed in this state for several months after I woke them up. I ended up having to get rid of them.

I've seen this problem often(I have a Camponotus pennsylvanicus. colony that has about 150 workers)This queen might be a dud.

Yeah, this is really frustrating. This is the third camponotus queen I've had that acts this way, out of the four total camponotus queens I've had. Very sluggish, hardly ever moves--even when I disturb them, and when they do reanimate, it's like they're moving at 5% speed.

They'll lay a ton of eggs, but none, or just one, will end up eclosing. The rest of the eggs don't continue developing past first larval stages. If they do have a single worker, the worker doesn't appear to actually do anything for her--just sits idle 24/7.

#5 Offline Jonathan21700 - Posted September 25 2015 - 1:27 PM

Jonathan21700

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 807 posts

This is absolutely normal. After hibernation the larvae will start developing.

#6 Offline Crystals - Posted September 25 2015 - 1:29 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I see this with my Camponotus colonies all the time.  They usually overwinter larvae.

There are many accounts of it in my journals.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#7 Offline William. T - Posted September 25 2015 - 1:58 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Camponotus do overwinter larvae.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 25 2015 - 2:53 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

This is absolutely normal. After hibernation the larvae will start developing.

I don't think so, I've never had this happen. He also said that the worker just sits around. Mine never did that.

I see this with my Camponotus colonies all the time.  They usually overwinter larvae.

There are many accounts of it in my journal

I don't, I've never had this happen. He also said that the worker just sits around. Mine never did that.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#9 Offline Crystals - Posted September 25 2015 - 4:10 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

What is your location first of all?  Do you get snow?

Northern species with a definite winter will overwinter larvae.  They will stop foraging and generally have distended gasters waiting for winter.

Southern species are different.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#10 Offline LC3 - Posted September 25 2015 - 4:20 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Seems like Western and Eastern Camponotus seem to vary as much as Southern and Northern ones, even of the same species hard to exactly pinpoint a universal law for them (except they grow slow :P )

Edited by LC3, September 25 2015 - 4:20 PM.

#11 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 25 2015 - 4:35 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Northern species with a definite winter will overwinter larvae.  They will stop foraging and generally have distended gasters waiting for winter.

Sorry I was not clear. I meant that my camponotus larvae never stops growing. I kept them awake a month too late last year and their larvae still grew. I agree that they do overwinter larvae though. What is happening here seems really weird. My Camponotus workers were always crazy and very tentative to the queen. I think someone had this problem earlier actually. We decided that there was some bacteria that was beneficial to the ants that they were not getting. I think the guy ended up getting rid of his Camponotus. I don't think this is normal at all from what pretty code has described.

Currently Keeping:

Pheidole pilifera

Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#12 Offline prettycode - Posted September 25 2015 - 9:52 PM

prettycode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

I'm just south of you (I think), in Seattle, WA.

#13 Offline LC3 - Posted September 25 2015 - 10:25 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Washington state is under B.C, Alberta (where Crystals lives) is located north east of Washington state. 

#14 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 26 2015 - 3:17 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

I've had a similar experience with northern Camponotus species.  I found that the amount of attention required in getting them started was more than I could offer, though as others have mentioned, there is also some variation in behavior within the species.

I suggest finding one with the genes you prefer, and assuming you collected them locally, release the others, or try refrigerating them for some months as suggested, and trying again with them next year.

Edited by drtrmiller, September 26 2015 - 3:18 AM.

• prettycode likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#15 Offline Crystals - Posted September 26 2015 - 6:06 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Yeah, you have one of the northern hibernating species then.  The desert species in California are a whole different ball game.

I have found with my local northern species that they do not care about the weather outside your window, so don't bother to try to time them.  They will let you know when they want to be hibernated (no pupae, little foraging, distended gasters, hanging out in a cooler section of the nest, etc).  They only need 3-4 months of hibernation; you can give them more, but I don't see much improvement over the 4.5 month mark.

My Colonies

#16 Offline James C. Trager - Posted September 26 2015 - 11:25 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Our temperate region Camponotus overwinter first-instar larvae in diapause (arrested development). Hibernate them until the first of March, and they'll begin developing again. 

• Jonathan21700 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users