• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Preparation for Hibernation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Desnob - Posted September 20 2015 - 5:30 AM

Desnob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

The summer months have come to an end and colder weather is approaching here in the east cost of the United States. The coming of the winter season signals a period of hibernation for our six-legged friends. 

As a new ant-keeper I'm full of curiosity regarding their habits. After reading several online resources regarding the subject of hibernation, I'm still left with a few questions. If ants store food for the winter, is it advised to offer more food before they hibernate? How can we help our colonies prepare for months of inactivity? Also, should I attach a test tube of drinking water or is hydrating the nest enough? 

I understand that ants require low temperatures to hibernate, so I'll be keeping them in my refrigerator with a thermometer. Does anyone have any recommendations when it comes to improving a colony's hibernation and ensuring their survival until spring?

Thanks!  :)

• AntsTexas likes this

[Current Colony - June 26, 2015] Tetramorium sp. e 200+ workers]

Need a safe sealant for a formicarium or outworld? Buy it on Amazon

#2 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 20 2015 - 7:29 AM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I would leave food in the outworld for them. Make sure it does not mold. Some colonies will eat during the winter months.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#3 Offline Pulliamj - Posted September 20 2015 - 11:32 AM

Pulliamj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
I would like to know at what temperature most people keep their ants in the refrigerator. And I assume they can be checked on every week or so.

#4 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 20 2015 - 2:22 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

I think my fridge is like 50-40? I don't know for sure though

Edited by Mdrogun, September 20 2015 - 2:23 PM.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted September 21 2015 - 9:00 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I bought a $2 digital thermometer from ebay and stuck it in my fridge.  My fridge is about 64F near the bottom, and 58F near the top.  I space out the sepcies by their temperature preferences.

Avoid putting the ants by the cold air vent.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users