• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex worker deaths/Keeping P. badius

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Runner12 - Posted September 26 2016 - 5:11 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Not sure if anyone is following this, but this colony has really exploded over the past few months. I built and moved them to a new formicarium in June, I counted about a hundred workers then, they've at least tripled their population since then, likely quadrupled.

I cut a slot in the bottom of a ten gal aquarium and fit it over my existing formicarium, it has worked well so far. I added two hydrostone pillars to the nest as well to wick water up into it but they haven't really worked as well as I planned. They help with moisture retention though.

The minor workers have greatly increased in size and there are a large number of intermediates, but fewer majors despite the increased population, not sure why this is.

Edited by Runner12, September 26 2016 - 5:18 AM.

• kellakk likes this

#42 Offline kellakk - Posted September 27 2016 - 9:54 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Wow, that's a pretty nice-looking colony! I miss my Pogonomyrmex colonies...

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#43 Offline Runner12 - Posted September 27 2016 - 4:11 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thanks! Pogonomyrmex have always been one of my favorites too

#44 Offline Runner12 - Posted September 28 2016 - 7:14 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Well apparently I jinxed myself with my last post. Found the queen dead this morning, I have no idea what happened. She was producing tons of brood right up until the end.

I guess I'm going to try to transplant one of my new Queens from this season, if that fails I suppose I'll just divide up the brood among my new colonies

Edited by Runner12, September 28 2016 - 7:15 AM.

#45 Offline spider_creations - Posted September 28 2016 - 8:34 AM

spider_creations

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Photo dump here.  This colony is growing fast, probably around 200 larvae and pupae at this point, and a ton of eggs.  I'll probably have to build a bigger nest for them by the end of the year.

Redid the foraging arena with white sand gathered from the area where I found this colony.  Also added bits of charcoal I took from a large P. badius nest nearby.  This species is known to adorn the nest crater with these bits of charcoal and pebbles, but my colony seems more interested in surrounding the trash heap with it.

7vsk5kr.jpg

With a frozen fly.  I noticed the majors have a tendency to appear at the surface whenever there is a large "prey" item.

tzMKcJL.jpg

1HbNHxf.jpg

smFjJF7.jpg

yv1PFku.jpg

ITwXmTc.jpg

Structure of the nest

F1YsHD4.jpg

rLzqHhW.jpg

gxB1Qcv.jpg

Closer view of some brood chambers.

MDKdov5.jpg

sj3fXAA.jpg

HmlEd2p.jpg

VUqaLl7.jpg

lzeBHHs.jpg

SQnusRX.jpg

The last time I was out I was fortunate enough to come across an area that had a lot of Camponotus socius nests.  This is one of the largest north american ants, being visibly larger than any other Camponotus I've seen, and I was lucky enough to find a few new small nests that had just been founded this past fall and spring.  I collected three colonies, one with 20 workers and queen, one with ten workers and queen, and one with six workers and queen.  They're very exotic looking. 

This species is known for having multiple satellite nests, up to nine or ten for a large colony.  It's tough to photograph the ones in the sand setup, but the test tube colony with six nanitics is easier to see.  The queen of the 20 worker colony has already laid a decent sized batch of eggs, I'm hoping at least one of these will be successful.

Q57nX1u.jpg

XmYn6qu.jpg

tPWKEbg.jpg

TSCoXfq.jpg

I belive the largest species of ant in North America is atta mexiana,BTW I love the photos on this thread

#46 Offline Runner12 - Posted September 28 2016 - 10:15 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Yep C. socius is definitely not the absolute largest, but they are a bit larger than most of the other Camponotus. Thanks, glad you liked the pics

#47 Offline T.C. - Posted September 28 2016 - 10:23 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Hi, runner 12, what are you feeding them currently??? Some source of sugar and protein I assume? Also beautiful set up, very natural. :)

Great pictures as well, you appear fairly experienced, so i assume you freeze or boil the bugs you give them? Especially the fly you gave them, just so you are aware I read some where that flies aren't good for ants! I just would hate to see such a successful colony like this one die off!

Edited by T.C., September 28 2016 - 10:29 AM.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#48 Offline Runner12 - Posted September 28 2016 - 11:07 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Hey, I usually just rely on seeds for sugar and carb source, I feed frozen and boiled flies, waxworms, and crickets for a protein source. Every once in a while I'll offer dried fruit which they will usually accept. Definitely try to sterilise as much as possible and the flies are feeders raised in captivity not wild caught so hopefully minimizing exposure to anything harmful.

With the sudden death of the queen this colony may be doomed though. I have no idea what could have caused it since she has been producing strongly all summer. I'll have to see if I can get them to accept one of my new Queens I captured this past summer.

Unfortunately that's going to mean dismantling the enclosure to get them all out, which is disheartening.

Edited by Runner12, September 28 2016 - 11:10 AM.

#49 Offline T.C. - Posted September 28 2016 - 11:24 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Oh, that's too bad! Yeah it probably won't work, putting a queen in with them, however put in the outworld, is what i recommend, and just see what happens!

#50 Offline Runner12 - Posted September 28 2016 - 11:30 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I've had some success introducing a queen the same way beekeepers do, making a small screen cell for her and then putting her in close proximity to them so they can get used to her without being able to actually get to her. That means putting them all together in a small container though for a while so they can all pick up each other's scent.

Edited by Runner12, September 28 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#51 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 6 2016 - 3:57 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Ok. Have gotten this colony to accept a new Queen. Now she has to pass the second hurdle and actually behave like a queen and lay eggs. Time will tell I guess.

#52 Offline T.C. - Posted October 7 2016 - 5:46 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,061 posts

Well, it's a good start! Conrats

Edited by T.C., October 7 2016 - 5:47 AM.

#53 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 14 2016 - 4:29 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
The queen I transplanted into this colony has started laying eggs, I'm cautiously optimistic that I have saved this colony, have to continue and wait and see though.

#54 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 14 2016 - 9:09 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

this is a good journal keep it up!

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#55 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 18 2016 - 4:40 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Workers suddenly rejected the queen today, dragged her out of the nest repeatedly, so I guess this colony is a goner. Took apart the enclosure and divided up the brood among the rejected queen and another smaller colony.

Really wish I knew what could have killed the original queen so suddenly when she had been doing so well.

#56 Offline MichiganAnts - Posted October 18 2016 - 5:51 PM

MichiganAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationMichigan

are you sure they were not just moving?

Owner of MichiganAnts, a YouTube Channel dedicated to all my Michigan colonies found and raise in my backyard

https://www.youtube.com/MichiganAnts

https://twitter.com/MichiganAnts

https://www.facebook.com/MichiganAnts/

Keeper of:

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus

Camponotus Noveboracensis

Tetramorium

#57 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 18 2016 - 6:21 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Nope, definitely not. They were behaving pretty aggressively towards her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users