• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Bad news - Being forced to move Good news - We'll be better off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Vendayn - Posted September 15 2015 - 5:20 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

One of the reasons I went on a little vacation, if anyone saw posts about that, to see a friend (for the last time probably, except to chat online) is for my parents to figure out how to get money for the past two months of rent (that hasn't been paid).

But business has just been so slow, and there has been more competition to what my parents do.

So, by the end of this week we will be out of here. Its a fast move.

The good news is, we'll end up saving TONS of money, pay all our debts and live in a really nice area. We are moving to northern Washington, we are gonna rent a house, and it has a large pond (part of the property) with a whole forest around us. Unlike California, we can do all that with 800 dollars a month...INCLUDING utilities.

So, once we move, we'll be saving so much money and won't be in debt and live in a way better area.

My parents went there while I was gone, and they saw huge "black ants"...probably Camponotus. Tons of Formica ant mounds and one tree by the pond had Dampwood termites.

As for my current colonies, which was only one, I already put in the freezer. I know a couple wanted samples, but I don't even think I'll be able to do anything like that, its just too much a rush to pack everything. I don't want Pheidole megacephala spreading more around here. There are a couple colonies around, but I'll never know how they do unless they spread a lot. My dampwood termite alates I put up high in a tree, along the river, where the Argentine ants don't go. Hopefully they do good.

Well, see you guys whenever I get internet hooked up again. Or if I just use my phone's wifi but that is annoying to post on. I dunno how long it'll be till we have internet though, but hopefully not too long.

See you all when I am moved and situated. :) Its gonna be a beautiful area and so many great ants. :)

AND NO ARGENTINE ANTS!!!!!

Edited by Vendayn, September 15 2015 - 5:20 PM.

• AntsTexas and spinyeti like this

#2 Offline NightsWebs - Posted September 15 2015 - 5:55 PM

NightsWebs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationSo Cal

good luck V with the move.

Current Colonies;

Acromyrmex Versicolor

Dorymyrmex Bicolor

Pogonomyrmex Californicus
Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Pogonomyrmex Tenuispinus
Novomessor Cockerelli
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus

Last Update: 08 Jul 2016

#3 Offline gcsnelling - Posted September 16 2015 - 2:42 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Now that you are moving how would you feel about an address so I can have someone come look for the Pheidole?

• dspdrew, Gregory2455 and Subverted like this

#4 Offline Foogoo - Posted September 16 2015 - 6:53 AM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Holy cow that's a big move in a short amount of time. Glad to hear you're taking it positively. Good luck and show us the local ants we don't have here when you're settled!

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#5 Offline William. T - Posted September 16 2015 - 11:55 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

Show us the native ants! And good luck on the move!

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users