• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus nicobarensis loves dirt

camponotus nicobarensis camponotus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted June 10 2024 - 3:05 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY
My Camponotus nicobarensis continues to thrive. The queen has only five legs, but this has not stopped her from having many many daughters. They have three nests of ytong (aerated concrete) I've tried wood and acrylic nests with them, but they don't like anything as much as the stone. M2YgzKT.jpeguKBWZhg.jpeg And they do use their man-made nests. But when I decided to given them an outworld with a thin layer of natural soil, and a bit of drift wood increasingly the seem to prefer nesting in the shallow dirt to the proper nest. It's hard to tell from the photo, but it would not surprise me if there were as much ants as dirt in that box. They just love it and have shaped it into a kind of mud hut supported by the dead leaves they found in the litter. They have eggs and larvae in there... though the queen likes to stay in the smallest and oldest nest as deep as possible from the main entrance. I don't think this is a big problem, although it makes it hard for me to know if they need more nest space or not? Would you say they are over-crowded? Y1Yan51.jpeg This is their outworld for feeding. 1W3gl3o.jpeg This is their "natural dirt" outworld. I do not keep the soil very moist, I don't think this is about humidity. I've tried making their ytong nests different humidity levels (water one but not the other) and that didn't change much they like them both the same. But the like the dirt the most. cRHDwIb.png So many ants are packed into their little soil huts and pockets. They seem very happy so I might just give them another box of dirt? Although, I would be sad if the queen decided to move into the dirt nest.
  • Mushu likes this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline Stubyvast - Posted June 10 2024 - 6:17 PM

Stubyvast

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I mean if they love dirt, I'd suggest giving them one. I'd suggest a sort of Ant Tower set-up like AntsCanada sells, https://www.antscana...ant-tower-large. That way you can keep it moisturized, and still see them dig their tunnels around it. I've actually made a few of these homemade, and they're quite easy to do. I would probably suggest for a colony of that size, you might want more than one, though. 

Nice job on your colony! They look like they're doing super well. Good luck!

Currently raising: 

Myrmica Rubra (polygynous 2 queen + brood)

Camponotus Modoc (single queen + brood)

Camponotus Vicinus (two single queens + brood)

Lasius Niger (single queen + ~60+ workers)

Tetramorium immigrans (single queen)

Temporarily keeping IdioticMouse26's ants/tarantula until August 12th as he is away. Thanks IM26!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camponotus nicobarensis, camponotus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users