• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Books/documentary about ants recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 5 2024 - 7:36 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Does anyone know any books/documentary about ants? It can either be fiction or non-fiction. It would better if it was educational. 

So far, ant books I've read are: Tales from the ant world by Edward O. Willison, The Ants by Bernard Werber, Empire of Ants by Susanne Foitzik and Olaf Fritsche, and Chrysalis by RinoZ(it's a web book with very game-fantasy theme)

Documentaries I've watched are: Planet Ant (where they talk about Atta), Lord of the Ants, A documentary about formica mound ant supercolony narrated by David Attenbourgh(can't remember the title), Unstoppable Invaders(solenopsis invicta), and Best of Ants BBC. Also all "documentaries" made by Ants Australlia(now called Jordan Dean. I 100% recommend his channel if you haven't heard of it. His videos are so high-quality).

Thank you!

#2 Offline kalimant - Posted June 6 2024 - 1:33 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

The Ants by Wilson and Holldobler

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ants

Pheidole by Wilson

https://www.amazon.c...4/dp/B01HC1FQ26

Still debating whether to get this one.

You might also want to take look at this thread:

https://www.formicul...ooks-with-ants/

Edited by kalimant, June 6 2024 - 1:34 AM.

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the hyper-diverse myrmicine genus Pheidole.:

PHEIDOLE

I also own the Lurker's Guide to Leafcutters Ants

#3 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 6 2024 - 7:50 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

I searched both of them in Amazon, and wowza they're super expensive! Like in the $200-300s! I don't think I can buy it, but thanks for the info.  

#4 Offline Mushu - Posted June 10 2024 - 12:09 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

here's a oldie but goodie. I have the dvd.

Ants, little creatures that rule the world

Life in the undergrowth has some parts about Ants:

As does Wild South America:

Fire ants the invincible army

#5 Offline ReignofRage - Posted June 10 2024 - 4:31 PM

ReignofRage

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
  • LocationCalif.

Documentary-wise, it's hard to go wrong with Empire of the Desert Ants from BBC. It follows a Myrmecocystus mimicus colony from the day of a nuptial flight for eight years until the colony passed away.

Book-wise, I would advise against the E.O. Wilson's 2003 work on Pheidole that was suggested above. It has a plethora of blatantly erroneous synonymizations that have decades worth of publications, including phylogenetic studies, proving the synonymizations erroneous! It also includes unthorough documentation of certain type specimens. Additionally, the dichotomous key is nearly impossible to follow.

Books from Wheeler & Wheeler, such as "Ants of Deep Canyon" and "Ants of the Nevada Test Site," are great with minimal outdated identifications. Books from A.C. Cole Jr. are great as well, but outdated. In my signature, there's a hyperlink "Scanned Literature" that will take you to a thread with one of A.C. Cole Jr.'s books scanned for free viewing.

Edited by ReignofRage, June 10 2024 - 4:34 PM.

• kalimant likes this

#6 Offline IdioticMouse26 - Posted June 10 2024 - 4:48 PM

IdioticMouse26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Thanks for all the infos, I'll be sure to watch some of the documentaries.

#7 Offline Antcube - Posted July 3 2024 - 3:38 AM

Antcube

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationBerlin / Germany

Another source of information could be the ants documentary chanel from Antcube, which will bring up regulary new information about various kind of ants. Please feel free to have a look to attached link:

https://www.formicul...ed-by-antstore/

#8 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted July 6 2024 - 6:25 PM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationFortaleza, Brazil

Some books I liked include "Army Ants - Nature's Ultimate Social Hunters" by Daniel J. C. Kronauer, with lots of interesting info on army ants presented in a very approachable way, "Ant" by Charlotte Sleigh, which is about the impact of ants in human culture (folklore, literature, etc.), and "Planet of the Bugs" by Scott Richard Shaw, which is about insects in general and not just ants, but I still wanted to mention.

• ANTdrew and Ernteameise like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users