• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Finding nuptial flights

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 26 2024 - 8:43 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

What is the best time of the day/night to go out and catch a nuptial flight happening?

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 26 2024 - 10:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,502 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The short answer is that it all depends on what species you’re looking for.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 26 2024 - 10:40 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

Camponotus Castaneus, Camponotus Subbarbatus, Temnothorax Curvispinosis, Solenopsis Molesta, and also any Crematogaster.

Edited by 1tsm3jack, May 26 2024 - 11:41 AM.

#4 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted May 26 2024 - 1:43 PM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Correct me if I'm wrong but in my area were I find camponotus they start flying in the evening.

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, May 26 2024 - 1:44 PM.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

Currently keeping: 2 C.vicinus colonies.2 C.sansabeanus. 1 C.leavissimus. 2 C.Ca02. 1 V.pergandei. 4 T.immigrans.1 F.pacifica. 1 C.hyatti

1 M.ergatognya

Trying to get my hands on :C.modoc,A.vercicolor, and Any Honeypots

#5 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted May 26 2024 - 4:32 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
Solenopsis Molesta usually fly around 8-9 for me, I would use a blacklight or a very bright light source.

Using light is pretty easy when trying to find solenopsis molesta, since they are a tiny species and it will be harder to find them without using light to attract them. Also, use the light during august, that’s when they are most common.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 27 2024 - 3:42 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,502 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
C. subbarbatus have probably already flown here in Virginia. Black light traps are the best way to find all the rest, except for Crematogaster. Those will fly on hot, humid mornings in late August through Labor Day. Search for dealates in the early afternoon.
  • 1tsm3jack likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users