• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cotton balls drying out.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 25 2024 - 7:14 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA

In almost all of my test tubes, the ends of the cotton balls inside the tube have dried out even though the water reservoir is completely full, why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

#2 Online Izzy - Posted May 25 2024 - 7:21 AM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

In almost all of my test tubes, the ends of the cotton balls inside the tube have dried out even though the water reservoir is completely full, why is this happening and what can I do to fix it?

They might be too thick or big of cotton balls. I'd try ripping some of the cotton off and making it a smaller size. You probably already know this, but just to clarify, make sure when you're pushing the cotton ball in its getting wet on the inside or else it's not far enough in yet.

#3 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 25 2024 - 7:42 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Yeah I did and they get wet originally but then they start drying back out. How should I go about ripping off pieces with the ants inside?

#4 Online Izzy - Posted May 25 2024 - 8:18 AM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

Yeah I did and they get wet originally but then they start drying back out. How should I go about ripping off pieces with the ants inside?

Yeah you probably won't be able to. I would fill up another test tube and make the cotton ball smaller on that one, and then if you have a way to connect the test tubes together via an adapter or something you could do that. If they're not tiny ants you should be able to just place the mouths of the test tubes together and hopefully they'll eventually move. Heating the dry side of the test tube you want them to move to may help, but I'm always leery of heating test tubes as it can go bad quickly, so just monitor it closely if you do.

Another option is if you have an escape proof container, you could set the test tubes next to each other inside and let them move themselves into the moist one. I've noticed some ants won't do this as they just will drink the water from the neighboring test tube and stay in the dry one, but it usually works for me.

Depending on the species you may need quite a bit of patience. I've had some take minutes to move, and some weeks.

• rptraut and 1tsm3jack like this

#5 Offline 1tsm3jack - Posted May 25 2024 - 9:43 AM

1tsm3jack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Yeah you probably won't be able to. I would fill up another test tube and make the cotton ball smaller on that one, and then if you have a way to connect the test tubes together via an adapter or something you could do that. If they're not tiny ants you should be able to just place the mouths of the test tubes together and hopefully they'll eventually move. Heating the dry side of the test tube you want them to move to may help, but I'm always leery of heating test tubes as it can go bad quickly, so just monitor it closely if you do.

Another option is if you have an escape proof container, you could set the test tubes next to each other inside and let them move themselves into the moist one. I've noticed some ants won't do this as they just will drink the water from the neighboring test tube and stay in the dry one, but it usually works for me.

Depending on the species you may need quite a bit of patience. I've had some take minutes to move, and some weeks.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing for them that I did for an Aphaenogaster colony which is just give them a test tube of dirt to nest in and then put a soaked cotton ball in the test tube portal as their water source, don't know how well that will work though considering the Aphaenogaster are a lot smaller. The ants I'm referring to are Formica Subsericea by the way. 

Edited by 1tsm3jack, May 25 2024 - 9:45 AM.

#6 Online Izzy - Posted May 25 2024 - 1:29 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationUtah

I'm thinking about doing the same thing for them that I did for an Aphaenogaster colony which is just give them a test tube of dirt to nest in and then put a soaked cotton ball in the test tube portal as their water source, don't know how well that will work though considering the Aphaenogaster are a lot smaller. The ants I'm referring to are Formica Subsericea by the way. 

I would think a soaked cotton ball would be ok, as that's how I've given them a sugar source in the past to keep them from getting stuck in it. If you could get a tiny water feeder or something from Tarheel Ants or byFormica that would fit in your test tube portal that would be best I would think. Desiccation is probably the easiest and most common way to lose a colony.

• 1tsm3jack likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users