• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Camponotus Floridanus Confirmation |Orlando, FL | May, 10th.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 10 2024 - 1:39 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Date: May, 10th, 2024.
Habitat: These queens were caught running across a tree in a park, I would consider it an open woodland.
Size: ~15 millimeters on the largest queen (who was used for the images.)
Color: Thorax and most of the head is scarlet, the larger queen was slightly darker but only by a shade or two. Front of the head and mandibles is a darker red, with the mandibles especially being a very dark brown. The gaster/abdomen is black and somewhat shiny.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Legs are long and slender, eyes are placed back at the top of the head. Antennae point forwards in an "L" shape.
Distinctive Behavior: Queens are fast runners, running faster than most ants I've seen and trying to pick them up, but only in bursts before they begin slowing down again. These queens clean themselves a lot more than my Solenopsis invicta queens, doing it at what seemed like more than once a minute when they are not interacted with. These queens were not hesitant to bite me when provoked, and they probably could have pierced my skin if they bit at the right part.
Nuptial Flight: Queens were caught in the afternoon, around 2 PM, give or take 30 minutes. I am not sure if these queens came from the main nuptial flight though, so this may not be accurate.

Attached Images

• IMG_0615.jpeg
  • IMG_0616.jpeg
  • IMG_0617.jpeg

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, May 10 2024 - 1:45 PM.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#2 Offline Mettcollsuss - Posted May 10 2024 - 1:46 PM

Mettcollsuss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,731 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Yes, C. floridanus. She looks a bit starved, I'd offer her some sugar water.

#3 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 10 2024 - 2:00 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Yay! I’ve always wanted a carpenter ant colony. I’ll feed her shortly, thanks!
  • Mushu and Artisan_Ants like this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users