• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How much water in formicarium?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline Koafid - Posted May 7 2024 - 7:09 AM

Koafid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Hi,
I use old Aquarium as formicarium for my L. niger (30 ants) colony, with soil from garden, around 7cm deep (the nest and outworld is in same tank). How many water should I put in it so it don't get too dry? is there any easy guide for that? or, since they are in pretty wet and cold room, is there a possibility that they don't need aditional water in soil (or just sprinkle it once a week like 5 times with sprinkler, since there are few peaces of moss and grass added for diversity and looks)
thanks

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted May 7 2024 - 9:05 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Like you mentioned; about 5 sprays a week would be very good especially fore a humid room. You did say cold room. Di you mean cool cause cold rooms will take away moisture or make it worse by providing too much. If you did say cool room though then about 5 sprays is good enough for these guys as they are a humid loving species but they don’t like too much of course.

Keeping:

2x - S. molesta (colonies)                1x - C. nearcticus (founding)  (y) New!

1x - C. chromaiodes (colony)           1x - C. subbarbatus (founding)  (y) New!

2x - F. pallidefulva (colonies)             1x T. sessile (mega colony)

2x - C. cerasi (founding)  workers are here!  :yahoo:

1x - B. depilis (founding but no eggs)

2x - P. imparis (colony) 2x P. imparis (founding)  Unfortunately no multi queen P. imparis colonies as all of the queens died due to fungus infection (assumed). RIP  :( 

Check out my C. nearcticus journal here: https://www.formicul...cticus-journal/

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users