• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BrittonLS' Brachymyrmex cf. obscurior (7/2/2016)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BrittonLS - Posted September 5 2015 - 8:32 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, Texas

Found these August 21 and August 29 in my pool and at a local park on the tennis court after sundown. 

The dark ones may be B. patagonious, but I think B. obscurior is more likely. I have three tubes of 6 queens each and they seem to be getting along and making good progress. I don't have a good picture of the B. depilis yet, but I'll get that up next update. 

izkekyG.jpg

Ty7jvXN.jpg

Edited by BrittonLS, July 3 2016 - 2:28 PM.

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted September 5 2015 - 9:57 AM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

What makes you think B. obscurior and not patagonicus?  I see AntWiki doesn't show obscurior occurring in your area.

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline BrittonLS - Posted September 5 2015 - 10:57 AM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

It doesn't show B. patagonicus either, but Texas A&M University has recorded both in Texas. There's a few species that I know are in Texas that it doesn't list on AntWiki. It doesn't show T. sessile either. I 'thought' I read that B. patagonicus hadn't come this far north as of yet, but it may have been an old article. Perhaps I just like B. obscurior more for it lol

Ah, here it is: http://scienceblogs....g-pest-species/

Perhaps I'll need to go suck up some of the ants around my house and take a closer look.

#4 Offline BrittonLS - Posted September 22 2015 - 7:00 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

9/22/2015

These are growing very quickly. The B. deplis unfortunately not so much, but they only had two queens, not six like these dark ones. Growing very quickly, but having to try to move them into a new test tube since theirs is dry.

qwRMA4B.jpg

• Myrmicinae and Gregory2455 like this

#5 Offline BrittonLS - Posted July 3 2016 - 2:27 PM

BrittonLS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

7/3/2016

I moved a colony into an outworld and I may have shoved them out too aggressively? I couldn't get them to check out the vinyl tubing connecting to the formicarium I attached so they wound up just kind of living in the outworld which I think just wasn't hospitable enough for them. 

There was a flight not too long ago and saw an absolute swarm of Brachymyrmex queens. I actually had to take a closer look because I wasn't sure if they were queens or a whole colony of ants. So I've got a few test tubes with queens that have a nice little pile of brood and one that's already had a few nanitics eclose. 

Pictures of two of the more developed colonies. 

nwZ6NIR.jpgqSfy5AK.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users