• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Harvester ants and seed storage- A question to all the harverster keepers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 22 2024 - 1:42 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationGermany

This question goes to all the keepers with different kinds of harvester ants out there.

So I have been keeping Messor barbarus, and they are very good at separating different areas of the nest depending on heat and humidity. So for example, they have a place that is dryer where they store the seed, a moist place for the larvae and a warmer place for the puppae.

This is what I am used to seeing, as far away from the water source as possible:

0304_The_grannery.jpg

I know that small Messor colonies cannot do this, and people raising young founding colonies often have the problem of seed sprouting in the nest. This also happened to me:

Rescue_2505.jpg

Now I have got a new colony, a very small species of tropical harvester ants. They come from the tropical rainforest of Thailand and nest in rotten wood and leaf litter on the ground.

At first I thought they would keep the seed in the dry area of the nest and live with their larvae on top of the water tower.

But no!

They have now moved the seed stash on top of the water tower.

2104_Acan_water_tower.jpg

How do your harvester ants handle this?

Have you observed similar behaviors?

Do your ants discriminate between "wet" and "dry" areas?

Or do you have to clean after them when the seed are sprouting?

I would love to hear your experiences and stories.

• bmb1bee likes this

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 22 2024 - 3:17 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
I’m no help down in Florida, Pogonomyrmex wants to be a no-show.

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 22 2024 - 11:23 AM.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline bmb1bee - Posted April 22 2024 - 9:59 AM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

A theory, but maybe they place the seeds close to water so that they are easier to crack open and eat once they begin to sprout.

• futurebird and Ernteameise like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#4 Offline Ernteameise - Posted April 22 2024 - 11:27 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationGermany

A theory, but maybe they place the seeds close to water so that they are easier to crack open and eat once they begin to sprout.

This is exactly what I thought.

I could actually observe the majors walking around with seed that had just sprouted and they were working on them.

In nature, this is actually a good strategy- why spend all that energy on cracking a seed that will crack itself when it sprouts?

But for ants in a artificial environment, this is a real hassle for the ant keeper.

Some people on the ant Facebook group gave me the advice to pre-crack the seed for the ants- this will avoid the sprouting and will also make it easier for the ants.

I will have to see how they go with that.

This is actually how the whole story went today (I am not going to re-post it here), it can be found in my journal on these ants.

I started the journal for exactly that reason- so that there is a resource on this forum and the net about all that can go wrong and about all that I learned and observed.

It might help other people.

https://www.formicul...e-2#entry239045

• bmb1bee likes this

#5 Offline TacticalHandleGaming - Posted April 22 2024 - 3:56 PM

TacticalHandleGaming

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 728 posts
  • LocationOregon

I'm never had any issues with sprouting seeds, but I have heard of it happening. If It happened in my larger Pogonomyrmex colony... It would be a big task to remove them. I'd have to remove the nest glass, and that's a lot of angry stinging ants to deal with.

• Ernteameise likes this

Currently kept species

L. neoniger, P. occidentalis, C. modoc, C. novaeboracensis, C. vicinus, T. immigrans, A. occidentalis, S. molesta, P. imparis, M. kennedyi, M semirufus, F. pacifica, P. californica, M. ergatogyna.

Previously kept species

T. rugatulus, B. depilis.

Looking for

Myrmecocystus pyramicus, Myrmecocystus testaceus

Pheidole creightoni, Pheidole inquilina, Crematogaster coarctata, Crematogaster mutans

My youtube channel.  My ant Etsy store - Millennium Ants

#6 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted April 22 2024 - 4:34 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

No sprouts with mine yet. They keep the seeds in the drier areas, but they bring some of them from the larder to the humid areas when they want to open them later.
They do use the moisture to soften up the seeds for sure.

I let mine keep a fairly deep larder no issues so far. But i suppose if they were keeping them in more sprout friendly conditions, i'd not let them keep as many either.

I do notice when i give them the seed medley, they feed the brood the cracked hemp seeds immeditly. It is the one seed in the medley already opened.

• Ernteameise likes this

#7 Offline SHmealer - Posted April 28 2024 - 11:18 PM

SHmealer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFlorida

badius is extremely common in florida, just go to the proper habitat.

#8 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 30 2024 - 3:21 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

badius is extremely common in florida, just go to the proper habitat.
What would that be? I’m stuck in Orange County where everything may as well be made of plastic.

#9 Offline SHmealer - Posted Yesterday, 8:25 PM

SHmealer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Scrub or sand hill or any sandy habitat

#10 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted Today, 2:59 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts
Thanks! I always wanted some Pogonomyrmex.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users