• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Would a water setup like this work?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PDuncan67 - Posted April 12 2024 - 2:14 PM

PDuncan67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Would a water setup like this work? 

I ordered the blue sponge? (PVC?) just to see what it was like but I am not real keen on my setup.

I am really worried that the entire volume of water could flood the outworld.

I have been watching this for an hour.  Not a single drip.

more importantly, will this provide my ants a water source or is this more for hydration?

Anyway how do you feel about these blue sponge things and my setup in particular.
Those holes on top are/were intended for ventilation, but I remembered i had some of those white grommet parts.

I am not opposed to changing anything you see here, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

If it matters, I am building this outworld for my Camponotus floridanus colony.  They have grown to the point where feeding them in my knockoff THA mini-hearth has become a challenge.

Attached Images

• IMG_4461.jpg
  • IMG_4460.jpg

Edited by PDuncan67, April 12 2024 - 2:15 PM.

Colonies: Lasius neoniger, Messor barbarus, Camponotus floridanus

#2 Offline Flu1d - Posted April 13 2024 - 5:45 AM

Flu1d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationPensacola, Florida
The only thing that worries me is that this is for C. floridanus. They can be fairly destructive and I can't shake the feeling that they would attempt to tear at the sponge to get at more water.. however, that may not happen and could just be me overthinking it.

I would maybe do half or even 1/4th the amount of water and try that for several weeks (you would have to refill more often, but it would prevent a larger flood) and see how they handle it. Then, I believe, you could make a more educated decision on whether it's a good idea to give them water in this way.

Edited by Flu1d, April 13 2024 - 5:45 AM.

• SHmealer likes this

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted April 14 2024 - 1:14 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Hello PDuncan67;

I’ve used a similar setup to water a Camponotus colony, I used a small bottle with a sponge stopper and had no problems. Right now I’m watering two colonies with test tubes and cotton stoppers mounted vertically, again no problems. I would caution against using a partially filled tube as they seem more likely to lose their seal and flood. I always put in a full tube and replace it when it’s 3/4 empty.
RPT
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#4 Offline Mushu - Posted April 14 2024 - 2:41 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Very good idea functionality wise for less refilling of water without taking up outworld ground area.

I've thought about using a test tube like this for water before but would always have anxiety of flooding. I'd feel safer with a L shaped tube. 

Something like this

https://www.amazon.c...B0BLCWV5B1&th=1

Edited by Mushu, April 14 2024 - 2:41 AM.

#5 Online futurebird - Posted April 14 2024 - 3:02 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I think this could work great as long as they don't find a way to drain it. I use the blue sponges and they are OK. I almost like the cotton better since if the blue sponge isn't positioned correctly it can leak. 

Really I think this is great and worth trying and let us know how it goes. I may do this myself. It solves many problems such as ants putting sand in the feeder and ants trying to live in the feeder etc. LOL they are so ... comprehensive. Anything an ant could try they will try it. 

• rptraut and Mushu like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#6 Offline Zenith - Posted April 18 2024 - 8:52 AM

Zenith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Just place another cotton ball beneath the sponge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users