• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Body Language. How to tell if your ant is sleepy.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Online futurebird - Posted April 2 2024 - 5:16 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

How can you tell if an ant is sleepy? they can’t blink. Solution? Look at their antennae:

MnpdhoV.png

Diagram from a scientific paper on sleep in Solenopsis invicta showing three alert antennae positions: each with the scape, or base of the antennae forward of the eye. And two positions for deep sleep (folded in) and dozing RAM sleep (Rapid Antennae Movement) From Cassill 2009 in the Journal of Insect Behavior

Queens sleep much more than workers. Ants tend to sleep for only a few min. but they take 100s of naps each day. 

One day I was returning one of my majors to her colony and she fell asleep on my hand next to my ring:

TL56je6.png

Go here to see a video of her waking up. I think she forgot where she was. 

• UtahAnts, Full_Frontal_Yeti, Mushu and 1 other like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users