• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

States with most ant diversity

22 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted April 30 2024 - 5:11 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
Geesh, pseudomyrmex gracilis look like alien ants.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-C. vicinus
-F. neogagates
-L. fuliginosus
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some other lasius types in the future.
You should also subscribe to my youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/@AsdAnts

#22 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted May 1 2024 - 11:49 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

Arizona rules when it comes to ant diversity.

Especially with regards to Pheidole.

FL has tons of ants too, but many are invasives, and it has relatively few Pheidole given its subtropical nature.
Not really- Florida has plenty of invasives, but you’ll never see them. The only common one is S. invicta, which for the purpose of keeping is nearly identical to S. geminata (minus majors.) The Wasmannia won’t show up unless you look for them. Apparently we have Argentine ants, I haven’t seen a single worker. You can find Pheidole easily if you know where to look.
This is so wrong... Pretty much anywhere in Florida u can see atleast 5 invasive ants: Pseudomyrmex gracilis, Pheidole obscurithorax, Brachymyrmex patagonicus, Solenopsis invicta, Cyphomyrmex rimosus, And likely many more if your actively looking around. I have probably more than 15 invasive species just on my property.
Geminata differs from invicta in some regards in captivity the main one being geminata will actively collect and store seeds for later consumption.
I wouldn’t call the Psuedomyrmex common- you can find them but only if you actually look for them. I’ve literally never seen Cyphomyrmex (I wish.) And the Brachymyrmex are common, but only in certain areas (which means you know where to look, or got lucky.) Besides the ones you mentioned, I can only think of one common invasive (for it to be “common” you should be able to find them often without looking for them, at least in my book.) You are right about the invicta though.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#23 Offline kalimant - Posted May 3 2024 - 6:04 AM

kalimant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Arizona rules when it comes to ant diversity.

Especially with regards to Pheidole.

FL has tons of ants too, but many are invasives, and it has relatively few Pheidole given its subtropical nature.
Not really- Florida has plenty of invasives, but you’ll never see them. The only common one is S. invicta, which for the purpose of keeping is nearly identical to S. geminata (minus majors.) The Wasmannia won’t show up unless you look for them. Apparently we have Argentine ants, I haven’t seen a single worker. You can find Pheidole easily if you know where to look.

P. megacephala, P. obscurithorax among them (both of which I've seen in plenty).

In terms of exotics in general, FL has a ton as well. I believe it has the most of any state, due to its subtropical nature.

L. humile does not do well here I think.

Edited by kalimant, May 3 2024 - 6:05 AM.

I currently maintain a site dedicated to the hyper-diverse myrmicine genus Pheidole.:

PHEIDOLE

I also own the Lurker's Guide to Leafcutters Ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users