• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Some people feed birds...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline futurebird - Posted February 20 2024 - 5:36 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I like to get fruit flies for my colonies, but lately I've ended up with too many. I freeze them, but the girls like them best flash frozen and groggy... not a day old. So I decided to feed some of the colonies I know about around in the Bronx. There is snow on the ground but there are still two places where I know there are slightly active ants. There are a Tetramorium sp. living near one of the power boxes in the courtyard. Then there are the Monomorium sp ants in the park. Only the Tetramorium ants took the flies but they seemed happy. I'll have to try this in the summer when more of the local colonies come out. 

There are two big oak trees and each has many colonies, but it's too cold and those ants are sleeping. 

I should move to Borneo...

• rptraut, bmb1bee and Mushu like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#2 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted February 23 2024 - 11:49 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

I should move to Borneo...

Colonies don't live that long around these parts of the world, maybe 5 years if we're overestimating. Lots of invasive ants that enter homes too, including but not limited to S. geminata, P. longicornis, T. destructor and M. pharaonis.
Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users