• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen Ants and Water Feeders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PDuncan67 - Posted February 16 2024 - 9:22 AM

PDuncan67

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I am getting ready to move my Camponotus floridanus colony to a nest in a few weeks.  
I have seen several setups that use water feeders as the sole water source.
I am in that situation: the only room in my outworld for a water source is a feeder tower like the one in the picture.
Will my queen have touble drinking from it?  I don't see how she could possibly fit her head in there.
Will the other ants feed her water by trophallaxis?

1.jpg

Edited by PDuncan67, February 16 2024 - 9:23 AM.

Colonies: Lasius neoniger, Messor barbarus, Camponotus floridanus

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 16 2024 - 9:29 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Yeah, in trophallaxis, if workers feed the queen, then water will be transported along with whatever their recent feeding food was (l believe this because I had a P. imparis colony that lost all workers besides one, and the queen was still alive) so yes that’s fine. As long as they have some water source available for colony and her, the colony feed her the water. I mean; then what are workers for?
  • futurebird and PDuncan67 like this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#3 Offline Mushu - Posted February 17 2024 - 1:33 AM

Mushu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

Yeah she lives like a queen(no pun intended), so she gets everything she needs from workers, including water.

• PDuncan67 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users