• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What is your opinion on releasing native ants to a local area?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Offline antmaniac - Posted October 11 2015 - 2:18 AM

antmaniac

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Although it is true that Pheidole megacephala don't sting, but this species can damage crops. Hence a major threat to the farm industry. I think most "invasive" species share the aggressive and rapid growth traits. This could be due to the harsh origin which they came from.

Edited by antmaniac, October 11 2015 - 7:43 PM.

#42 Offline LC3 - Posted October 11 2015 - 8:35 AM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

usual characteristics of invasive ants:

Form very dense range of colonies

Aggressive towards other ants

Rapid growth rate 

Sometimes polygynous

Not native 

Produce large amount of reproductives.

#43 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 11 2015 - 7:09 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

If they are indeed Pheidole megacephala, should I pour soapy water on the remaining colonies? Only found two, and one is super small now and probably will die off on its own. Or should I just let them get the baits and what not that the apartment management put out everywhere and let it do its work?

#44 Offline Mdrogun - Posted October 12 2015 - 1:50 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

If I were you I would not destroy the Pheidole Megacephala. If the area is truly rid of native ants and can't be redeemed it sounds that the Pheidole are the best option to keep around. They help keep the Solenopsis and the Linepithema population down. This is good since the Solenopsis and the Linepithema bother your mom.

I know somebody said the the Pheidole can be harmful to plants. I know that Solenopsis invicta and Linepithema humile can be extremely harmful to plants too.

While I don't ever think it is a good idea to help invasive ants, you can't do anything about these invasive ants as it seems the poison does nothing and they kill off all native ants. While I know you hate invasive ants, it might be a wise idea to stop killing the Pheidole. They are the only ones that seem to be able to control the Solenopsis and Linepithema that bother your mom so much.

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#45 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 14 2015 - 8:01 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I look forward to seeing them in person.

Might be a bit soon. But, have you got the samples from him yet? Curious to see what the results are. I know there are some Pheidole species that look like Pheidole megacephala, some invasive and some not. But, I can't think of any native ones that have a bunch of queens and bud out their colony, while beating Argentine ants.

#46 Offline Subverted - Posted October 14 2015 - 8:08 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I've been busy and havent gotten them sent out yet...working on it.

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#47 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 18 2015 - 11:35 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Well, the area Subverted got the best samples from is being invaded by tens of thousands of Argentine ants. I didn't see any sign of Pheidole at all, and I dug around quite a bit and nothing. There is only Argentine ants in the tunnels the Pheidole made.

The other area we went to first, I saw even less than before. I think the poison they put out has slowly been killing them.

Which means pretty much no more Pheidole here. Probably a good thing since they seemed really invasive.

#48 Offline Vendayn - Posted October 18 2015 - 3:15 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Well, there goes the neighborhood lol.

Solenopsis invicta have now taken over part of the main road inside the complex (where the office/store is). Three large mounds, connected to each other. They are a one queen per mound species, but have many mounds all connected to a supercolony I guess of a sort. They even kicked out the Argentine ants in that area, when there used to be many thousands of them. I don't know if S.invicta are worse than Argentine ants. They are MUCH cooler and by far more fun to watch, unlike the most boring ant ever, Argentine ants. But, S.invicta have a nasty sting and more aggressive. But at least they aren't boring as watching paint dry.

Also Monomorium ergatogyna have been spreading everywhere, after I introduced them earlier this year. They all came from my one single colony I introduced, because they never were here before that. They are native, but they spread VERY fast. In less than a year are from my apartment unit, all the way down to the exit of the complex. They are also around the river area too. I can't believe one colony spread that fast in that short of time. The entire complex has small, medium and large colonies of M. ergatogyna. Very interesting.

Pheidole megacephala are all pretty much gone now too. I see tons of dead workers from both the poison and the Argentine ants invading them. They are pretty much wiped out, and like I said, probably a good thing. Though, I'd rather have those than Solenopsis invicta and Argentine ants. Oh well.

#49 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 23 2015 - 2:59 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I am sure everyone has long forgotten about this. I am sorry for the long delay. I got the sample but when I unpacked my scope I discovered that in spite of being well packed my scope did not survive my relocation. However all is not lost. I finally have a new scope and hope to look at the sample over this long weekend. Once i do I shall let you know what I find.

• James C. Trager likes this

#50 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 23 2015 - 1:44 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Ah, yeah was wondering what happened with this. I do know they are long gone from here, whatever they end up being. The cold finished the colonies off that got imported here. Most of them were already dead from the ant baits. But, I'm still curious to know if they are indeed Pheidole megacephala, or happened to be another species that looks similar.

On the bright side, if they are indeed the invasive Pheidole, I'm kind of glad the poison+cold killed all the colonies off. Don't need more invasive ants roaming around, already have enough invasive ants around here. :P

Edited by Vendayn, December 23 2015 - 1:44 PM.

#51 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 25 2015 - 2:14 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

It would appear that these were indeed Ph. megacephala.

#52 Offline Vendayn - Posted December 27 2015 - 11:28 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Thanks for making it definite. :)

On the bright side, pretty sure they are dead now. I looked around where the remaining colonies were and saw nothing. Even dug around and there weren't any at all. I know the ant poison killed a lot, and ever since it got really cold haven't seen even a hint of them.

Do Pheidole megacephala hibernate? I wouldn't think so as they are a tropical ant, but just wondering. Otherwise I don't think they made it past the first Winter, or all the ant baits and spraying they did.

#53 Offline Vendayn - Posted February 25 2016 - 6:31 PM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

I sent this to Gcsnelling as well. But figured I'd make an actual post.

It has been a long time since I gave an up date. Pretty sure I found out where they came from. There is the Verizon Ampitheater nearby and a huge lumber yard (one of the two has huge colonies of Solenopsis invicta somewhere inside), but they are in the planning mode of building new apartments (same complex, but just massively expanding it). They are replacing both the Ampitheater and lumber yard with the new apartment expansion. I've seen new plants being brought there, but not sure how long they've been doing that, so I don't know if that be the source. But that area also explains the huge amount of Solenopsis invicta that were flying last year as well. So it wasn't in particular the gardeners and the new plants they put, but were just introduced in general due to all the new stuff they've been adding and doing. I have noticed a large increase in non-native ants (mostly just Solenopsis invicta) in the complex, on the side closest to the Verizon Ampitheater.

Maybe there was a colony or two of Pheidole megacephala already there by the Ampitheater (I can't go to it, pretty sure its private property and need to buy tickets to actually go. So I can't check to make sure. Don't want to trespass lol.). But, I noticed on the far side of the complex close to the Ampitheater, a bit away from the S. invicta, I saw another small Pheidole megacephala colony fighting it out with Argentine ants and its way too far from the other colonies I used to see for them to get there.

Overall. I haven't seen most of the Pheidole megacephala colonies in a while (not after the massive pesticides and ant baits). But, there is one colony of Pheidole megacephala that reappeared along a sidewalk and its HUGE. I moved a bit of dirt and they all swarmed out by the hundreds. Shows how hard they are to get rid of I guess.

I dunno if I should just report them to the management again or leave them alone. But, at least they are better than Solenopsis invicta that just swarm all over with annoying mounds in lawns and sting pets and people lol.

On the bright side. The Forelius mccooki I introduced is nesting alongside the one large Pheidole megacephala colony, and both co-exist with each other. The Forelius came out of hibernation a week or two ago, and have been really active. The Pogonomyrmex californicus colony came out of hibernation as well, but get a bit bothered by the Pheidole megacephala. I was surprised the Forelius co-exist though with the Pheidole megacephala, not one hint of aggression and they are nesting literally right next to each other.

The Brachymyrmex colonies have also tripled in size from last year. The colonies around here are HUGE compared to before. Not sure what made them grow so much, but they have nearly as much ants now as Argentine ants did last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users