• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

MITES!

30 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted February 12 2024 - 6:21 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I found a lot of mites on one of my Camponotus Castaneus workers. I wanna know if they are bad and if I should do something about it. They are in a naturalistic setup so if I need to do something it might be hard. 2024_02_12_21_10_15_172.png
This is the only ant so far that I've seen with them but telling by the amount of mites she has I suspect more have some. Please help.

Thanks
-VAA

#2 Offline futurebird - Posted February 12 2024 - 7:31 PM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Sometimes mites are attracted to ants nearing the end of their life. It's not so much that the mites kill the ant, more that she's in decline and attracts them. If it's just the one ant you could remove her. 

I only saw mites when I was using a moist nest with Camponotus pennsylvanicus. and those ants don't benefit from a moist nest. Since this is a large Campnotus, maybe ease up on hydration of the nest. At the same time put out more options for drinking water so that they don't risk dehydration. How many ants are in the colony? Do they have brood?

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#3 Online rptraut - Posted February 13 2024 - 1:21 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Virginian ants;

If I had an ant like that in one of my colonies, I would remove it immediately with no regrets and pray the mites haven't spread to anyone else.   

RPT

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 13 2024 - 3:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
You have a big advantage if they are in a naturalistic setup because you can introduce predatory mites to control these unwanted mites. Look up the company called Natures Good Guys to see predatory mites for sale.
  • BleepingBleepers and cutchins like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted February 13 2024 - 4:20 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
She was definitely waiting to die so I did kill her and disposed of her remains. I also cleaned all the trash and there were mites on it. I will do a thorough search later today. What type of mites should I buy? It seems they have many should I do the ones that hunt spider mites.

Edited by Virginian_ants, February 13 2024 - 4:28 AM.

#6 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 13 2024 - 5:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The predatory mite mix they sell is a good one. At least one of the species is sure to thrive in your setup. Hypoaspis miles is a great choice as well.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 13 2024 - 6:26 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

If there were mites in the trash, I would guess they probably aren't parasitic at least.

• futurebird likes this

#8 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 13 2024 - 7:15 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

These are 100% the dreaded Acarus mite that often plagues antkeepers and kills colonies. You most likely got these mites with your colony when you purchased it, or you do not have the adequate biome and the mites tracked in one way or another. The best way to deal with them is to get black earth potting soil & sheep manure. Mix them 4:1 very well & put this in the foraging arena for your colony. 

Feed your ants sugarwater with 1 drop of lemon extract.

This will take care of your mite problem and your ants will thank you for it. 

• Ernteameise likes this

#9 Offline futurebird - Posted February 13 2024 - 8:31 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

I was unable to get a positive ID on mites with much better photos of both sides of the mite taken with a microscope when I asked and expert. They wanted me to mail them the mite. IDing mites is no joke. 

I looked at the guides to identify mites and if you think telling Camponotus discolor from Camponotus decepins is hard... it's cake compared to identifying mites. These are smooth round and gray, they have collected on one ant who was older and dying.  Acarus mites come in many species, some eat grains, some are predatory. Here are some threads where I've seen similar mites from the past. 

Spotted on my Discolor colony's food. The colony is thriving today nearly 3 years later. 

https://www.formicul...mites/?hl=mites

My Camponotus pennsylvanicus. colony also had a few ... this colony is also still around and mite free

https://www.formicul...page-2?hl=mites

I never did find out exactly what kind of mites they were. 

• FormiCanada and bmb1bee like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#10 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 13 2024 - 9:43 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

I was unable to get a positive ID on mites with much better photos of both sides of the mite taken with a microscope when I asked and expert. They wanted me to mail them the mite. IDing mites is no joke. 

I looked at the guides to identify mites and if you think telling Camponotus discolor from Camponotus decepins is hard... it's cake compared to identifying mites. These are smooth round and gray, they have collected on one ant who was older and dying.  Acarus mites come in many species, some eat grains, some are predatory. Here are some threads where I've seen similar mites from the past. 

Spotted on my Discolor colony's food. The colony is thriving today nearly 3 years later. 

https://www.formicul...mites/?hl=mites

My Camponotus pennsylvanicus. colony also had a few ... this colony is also still around and mite free

https://www.formicul...page-2?hl=mites

I never did find out exactly what kind of mites they were. 

ID'ing Mites is not something I am very proficient in -- but I do know that there's some common ones you'll see in your ant enclosures. The ones that are stuck to the ants are the ones that are worrisome for me. Try the method I suggested and I think you'll be good. How big is this colony?

#11 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted February 14 2024 - 5:24 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

These are 100% the dreaded Acarus mite that often plagues antkeepers and kills colonies. You most likely got these mites with your colony when you purchased it, or you do not have the adequate biome and the mites tracked in one way or another. The best way to deal with them is to get black earth potting soil & sheep manure. Mix them 4:1 very well & put this in the foraging arena for your colony.

I caught these ants myself and I've only bought one other colony I don't think they are Acarus because they were feeding on the trash. I did a search and I only found one other ant with mites I didn't kill it because it was still helping the colony unlike the other one but should I?
  • FormiCanada likes this

#12 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 14 2024 - 8:22 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

These are 100% the dreaded Acarus mite that often plagues antkeepers and kills colonies. You most likely got these mites with your colony when you purchased it, or you do not have the adequate biome and the mites tracked in one way or another. The best way to deal with them is to get black earth potting soil & sheep manure. Mix them 4:1 very well & put this in the foraging arena for your colony.

I caught these ants myself and I've only bought one other colony I don't think they are Acarus because they were feeding on the trash. I did a search and I only found one other ant with mites I didn't kill it because it was still helping the colony unlike the other one but should I?

Unfortunately, in my years of experience, these are the ones that do decimate colonies. I have lost many colonies due to these mites, but it's not over yet. Do try the method I showed you. A little tip too -- the mites are attracted to sliced raisins. They get into the raisins and get caught in the stickiness. The ants love the sugar from the raisins. It's a win-win.

Let me know how it goes! 

• rptraut and Ernteameise like this

#13 Offline Ernteameise - Posted February 14 2024 - 10:15 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wow, very exciting read!

Question- might I use the picture of the ant covered in mites for my veterinary ant health talk?

I will of course cite you as the picture source (or not mention you, as you prefer), I think this would be great to also share with veterinarians.

• FormiCanada, futurebird, rptraut and 2 others like this

#14 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted February 14 2024 - 1:03 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Wow, very exciting read!

Question- might I use the picture of the ant covered in mites for my veterinary ant health talk?
I will of course cite you as the picture source (or not mention you, as you prefer), I think this would be great to also share with veterinarians.

For sure!
  • FormiCanada and Ernteameise like this

#15 Offline Ernteameise - Posted February 15 2024 - 12:38 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Wow, very exciting read!

For sure!

Awesome thank you!

• FormiCanada likes this

#16 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 15 2024 - 6:59 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Wow, very exciting read!

Truthfully it is a very beautiful, detailed photo ^_^ 

#17 Offline NicholasP - Posted February 16 2024 - 9:35 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

These are 100% the dreaded Acarus mite that often plagues antkeepers and kills colonies. You most likely got these mites with your colony when you purchased it, or you do not have the adequate biome and the mites tracked in one way or another. The best way to deal with them is to get black earth potting soil & sheep manure. Mix them 4:1 very well & put this in the foraging arena for your colony. 

Just a note that this does not work all the time. Sometimes it does, but a lot of the time it has little to no effect. The most sure fire way to get rid of them is manually removing all mites from members of the colony, predatory mites, or culling the whole colony to prevent the further spread.

#18 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 17 2024 - 10:28 AM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Just a note that this does not work all the time. Sometimes it does, but a lot of the time it has little to no effect. The most sure fire way to get rid of them is manually removing all mites from members of the colony, predatory mites, or culling the whole colony to prevent the further spread.

It's worked 100% for me. I haven't lost a single worker to mites in over 5 years.

#19 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted February 18 2024 - 9:25 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
I'm gonna leave them be and remove all trash because I haven't seen many mites lately.
  • futurebird likes this

#20 Offline cutchins - Posted February 29 2024 - 7:49 AM

cutchins

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationBrownsville, TX

Sorry to hijack this thread but the discussion has been informative so far! I have some questions!

@virginia_ants - what camera/lense or equipment did you use for your photo? Like others have said, it's really awesome! I'd love to be able to get a closeup view of my ants in the same way! If not for some cool pictures, just to be able to get a really good look at my ants and help diagnose health questions/problems.

@formicanada @antdrew @nicholasp

I've seen it mentioned that mites like moisture. Do leafcutter colonies often run into problems with mites? Since moisture is such an important part of maintaining a leafcutter colony, it seems like this could be a common problem. Would predatory mites be a good solution if a leafcutter colony seemed to be suffering from a mite infestation?

I have a small colony of a. Versicolor that was doing really well starting up in a petri dish style nest and then ran into a wall with almost 20 workers dying off in a few weeks. This also resulted in significant die off of fungus. They seem to have stabilized a bit since then but i'm worried i'm still not out of the woods. I'm at a loss for what could have caused this die off, as I've been maintaining good heat and moisture levels. I was a bit worried that maybe I was keeping the nest too wet, but at no point was there any standing water, just occasionally very saturated plaster. It's not clear to me if an overly wet nest would cause significant die off of workers. 

The one thing that sticks out in my mind is that before the die off I started adding steel cut oats to the outworld. I've read that steel cut oats can be a source of mites. Everything I feed them i've purchased from ant vendors and are "organic", so I think the risk of pesticide is very low. But the oats are one thing that sticks out in my head and i've stopped providing those for now. Any insight and/or advice would be much appreciated! Really don't want to lose this colony!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users