• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

(A Beginning Antkeeper's) Journey of a Solenopsis Queen

solenopsisfire ant beginner queen new the_gaming-gate first colony advice needed advice

82 replies to this topic

#81 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 6 2024 - 7:04 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
4 / 6 / 2024 - ``Finally!``

The mealworm got moldy. Very moldy. It became grey and fuzzy and sort of disgusting, but it was easily removed with tweezers. Queen Firestorm is looking on the slim side, and not as active as she was before the nanitic arrived. To fix this, I offered the ants some grains of sugar which the worker immediately ran over to check out. She nibbled on a piece and then brought another grain to the queen, who appreciated it. I'm happy the ants finally got some sense and started eating.

A pretty funny story, when I removed the moldy mealworm piece the worker climbed onto my tweezers. I dumped her in the AC Test Tube and she began frantically searching for the nest entrance. I tried to use my tweezers to guide her back to familiar territory, but the little worker refused to cooperate. Eventually she did find the enterance into the nest, although it took her a few moments to realize where she was. She was exhausted, and immediately went back to devouring sugar grains.

Attached Images

• IMG_0459.jpeg
  • IMG_0463.jpeg

Edited by The_Gaming-gate, April 6 2024 - 7:09 AM.

• Artisan_Ants likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#82 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted April 6 2024 - 11:00 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
I tend to find that after queens raise their first nanitics; they are very tired and sleepy. My Camponotus queen is literally always sleeping in the day and is on awake around midnight. She is also awake when there is disturbance (light). Formica on the other hand are always active; even the queen. She is never tired when I check on them.
  • The_Gaming-gate likes this

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#83 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted April 6 2024 - 12:49 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Thank you so much ! I got concerned for a bit.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsisfire ant, beginner, queen, new, the_gaming-gate, first colony, advice needed, advice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users