• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern yellow jacket Queen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted January 28 2024 - 10:10 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I found a southern yellow jacket queen in my house. I captured her and she's in a mason jar with detritus, paper towels, and honey. My parents aren't fans but they haven't told me to release her so I'm in the clear for now. Does anyone know how to keep her.

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted January 28 2024 - 10:16 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Here's a pic

Attached Images

• IMG_0046.jpg

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted January 29 2024 - 8:39 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Nice find! I Honestly do not know how to keep wasps as pets, but I also found a Southern Yellow Jacket queen hiding under a rock before. From what I found, you put them in clear and spacious container in a warm room, and link it to the outside (like putting an entrance in your wall to where the container will be.) She will forage and come back into the container with resources.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, January 29 2024 - 8:40 AM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#4 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted January 29 2024 - 3:12 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
Currently I don't have a way to let her outside but I'll feed her in her current home.

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted January 30 2024 - 4:43 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Ok that should work. Feed her usual feeder insects and she’ll be fine. If you are keepin her, then make sure to attach something inside the container so she start some cells, and give her a wood source (but without outside access, it’s surely unlikely that she will start a colony.)

Edited by Artisan_Ants, January 31 2024 - 4:37 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users