• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Strange Camponotus Queen behavior

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsNJ - Posted January 27 2024 - 7:44 AM

AntsNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

IMG_4828.jpg

IMG_4829.jpg

Recently, I've notice that my Camponotus colony moved into a corner of their outworld. At first it was almost all of the workers and brood, but now most of the brood is in the test tube nest, along with some workers. However, the queen continues to remain in the outworld. What is going on here, and how should I fix it? Thanks!

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted January 27 2024 - 7:58 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I think once or twice I've had my ant Queens try to move out, like my Ecto ants. I mentioned it on the first page of my Ecto journal. It was because of too much disturbance.

I do notice that my carpenter ant Queen does not like the light much, the workers don't notice or react to it nearly as much or at all. Ecto ants, on the other hand, hate vibration / movements.

Basically: Maybe too much disturbance due to too light or vibrations or parameters are off and they're searching for a new place.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline AntsNJ - Posted January 27 2024 - 8:02 AM

AntsNJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey, USA

The queen inexplicably moved back into the nest while I was reading your reply. How peculiar.

#4 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted January 27 2024 - 8:14 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

The queen inexplicably moved back into the nest while I was reading your reply. How peculiar.

Yeah it's because she got nowhere else to go. The outworld is worst of all so she chose to go back in.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#5 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted January 27 2024 - 8:19 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I keep a colony of Pogonomyrmex Occidentalis.
The queen used to come to the outworld with some regularity early on.
In my first configuration it was a long walk to the outworld, but it was fairly small and lidded. So i believe from the Ant POV, it was just all nest and no "outside" to be in.

As the setup grew and changed, it eventually reached a state of more nest space and much more outworld with open air no lids.

Once i had a fairly large ratio of outworld to nest space, the queen no longer left the nest space even when disturbed. And now they seem to have a sense of nest entrance, outside, and deeper inside the nest.

When they get disturbed these days there is an obvious move towards deeper into the nest areas with brood and queen, away from their exit to "outside."
While defenders rush to mob the entrance to the nest area.

• ANTdrew likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users