• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Late diapause/hibernation - best practice?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted January 18 2024 - 11:31 AM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA

hi all -

I have 3 colonies that are all very new - queen with a few workers and eggs, but just starting out.

I got these from someone else and because I was moving I wasn't able to put them into hibernation (wine cooler) like I ordinarily would have. Now, winter is more than halfway done! 

I'm still thinking that i'll start reducing the temp in the room they are in a few degrees every day, and then when it gets down to 60 degrees or so i'll move them into the wine cooler and let them chill for, maybe 2 or even 3 months.

From what I've learned, skipping the hibernation phase isn't great for the ants, even for newly founded colonies. 

Anyone have any opinions on this? Hoping to keep these guys healthy! thanks!

#2 Offline PaxxMantid - Posted January 18 2024 - 4:46 PM

PaxxMantid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationPetamluma, CA
Oops, I double posted this. Please reply to other thread thanks!

#3 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted January 19 2024 - 6:45 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
Yeah, if you can reduce the temperature of your room, then that's great. I recommend Hibernating them at around 5-8º C (41-46.5 ºF.) Lower the temperature to around 50º if you can, and then introduce them to your cooler. What I found useful to reduce the temperature is an ice pack. It creates condensation inside the test tube, but it works, and my ants are fine with it.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, January 19 2024 - 6:45 AM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users