• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

New ant keeper in Atlanta

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline dboeren - Posted January 18 2024 - 9:34 AM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

I've gone ahead and ordered my first colony and formicarium from Tarheel Ants, I'm starting with Camponotus floridanus +5-10 workers in a Mini-Hearth.

Very excited to get my girls sometime next week and watch the colony's development.  I settled on C. floridanus because they are big, have majors, and a faster growth rate than most Camponotus.

• 100lols and PDuncan67 like this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 18 2024 - 5:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Welcome to the forum and the crazy world of ant-keeping! I guess a lot of people are getting C. floridanus now.
  • rptraut and 100lols like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline 100lols - Posted January 19 2024 - 1:19 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Hello! Welcome :) enjoy your carpenters!

#4 Offline dboeren - Posted January 19 2024 - 8:19 AM

dboeren

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Welcome to the forum and the crazy world of ant-keeping! I guess a lot of people are getting C. floridanus now.

Well, the species choices seem kind of limited at the moment due to the season and ants from the Southern US that don't need diapause are most of what's available right now.

The upside is that if I decide to get more into the hobby, my C. floridanus will probably be ready to move to a bigger home this summer and freeing up the Mini-Hearth right around the same time many other species will be getting their first few workers.

• ANTdrew and rptraut like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users