• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Most primitive living ant?

evolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntidepressAnt - Posted January 4 2024 - 4:29 PM

AntidepressAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationFortaleza, Brazil

I've been reading what I can about ants, and noticed something strange. Some sources say the most primitive/basal extant species of ant is Nothomyrmecia macrops, other sources say it Martialis heureka. Does anyone with more knowledge about ant evolution know which of these is the right answer? Or maybe there's another contender I don't know about?

#2 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 4 2024 - 5:39 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

As far as I am aware, Martialis heureka ​is the oldest living lineage of ants; N. macrops branched off later.

• ReignofRage likes this

#3 Offline James C. Trager - Posted January 5 2024 - 7:49 AM

James C. Trager

Expert

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Ant experts agree that Heureka plus Leptanillinae is the oldest branch of the ant family. The myrmeciines are a relatively derived subfamily, and related to the psuedomyrmecines.
For a deep dive into ant phylogeny: https://www.antwiki....y_of_Formicidae

• ANTdrew and rptraut like this

#4 Offline Zeiss - Posted January 5 2024 - 3:00 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Ant experts agree that Heureka plus Leptanillinae is the oldest branch of the ant family. The myrmeciines are a relatively derived subfamily, and related to the psuedomyrmecines.
For a deep dive into ant phylogeny: https://www.antwiki....y_of_Formicidae

It's good to see you back here on Formiculture!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: evolution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users