• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Harvester ant fun (dandelion seed head destruction video)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 23 2023 - 5:31 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Can definitely say that Veromessor excel at this.

I should try it more often with my one remaining Pogonomyrmex colonies.

https://www.youtube....rts/vEm3WYf3sqc

(ETA: Trying to get it inline but I guess not working)

Edited by OhNoNotAgain, January 7 2024 - 8:21 PM.

• 100lols likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#2 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 24 2023 - 1:35 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I didn't know they go after dandelion :o

Quite fascinating how many there were, did they really need that many workers to deal with a small dandelion? 

That worker barely reacted, it's like being kept in captivity got them re-wired into thinking "yup, there goes the hand that knows all and sees all, thanks for the food!"

• OhNoNotAgain and 100lols like this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#3 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 25 2023 - 2:09 AM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I didn't know they go after dandelion :o

Quite fascinating how many there were, did they really need that many workers to deal with a small dandelion? 

That worker barely reacted, it's like being kept in captivity got them re-wired into thinking "yup, there goes the hand that knows all and sees all, thanks for the food!"

When this colony was very new (2019) and had less than 10 workers, even then they sort of recognized fresh dandelion seeds. Problem was, although one worker recognized the seed, when she brought it into the test tube, her sisters would encounter the fluff end and drag it out as trash. It was pretty funny.... I wish I'd watched more closely the transition where they came to recognize "fluff is connected to food."

>Quite fascinating how many there were, did they really need that many workers to deal with a small dandelion?

No, they don't, but with Veromessor pergandei they travel in huge foraging columns, and if news spreads of food, it triggers masses of workers to try to go foraging. They are phototropic so I also have a video of huge numbers crawling up the outworld wall toward a moving light source.

>That worker barely reacted, it's like being kept in captivity got them re-wired into thinking "yup, there goes the hand that knows all and sees all, thanks for the food!"

Which one? When the breeze comes in upon opening the outworld lid, they definitely all kind of jumped to attention. It was interesting to see it in the video. lol

• 100lols and BleepingBleepers like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#4 Offline futurebird - Posted January 5 2024 - 2:59 AM

futurebird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Excellent video. My Pogonomyrmex also love this treat. It's great "enrichment" for them. 

The queen from my Pogonomyrmex colony passed away many months ago and for a long time they produce winged males, but as of a few weeks ago the last members of the colony died. I'll miss them. I don't know what killed the queen. But I think she's been dead for a year since that's when I started seeing males. Seeing this video makes me want to get another colony of Pogonomyrmex... even though I have been thinking of just focusing on Carpenters and local species ... for the next few years they are so cute and industrious with their wide-spaced eyes and excitement over seeds. 

• OhNoNotAgain, Ernteameise and 100lols like this

Starting this July I'm posting videos of my ants every week on youTube.

I like to make relaxing videos that capture the joy of watching ants.

If that sounds like your kind of thing... follow me >here<

#5 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 5 2024 - 1:32 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Woah, you’re back!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users