• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Checking out pogonomyrmex barbatus at the park

pogonomyrmex barbatus

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted December 19 2023 - 11:57 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Took a trip to Tx. recently and spotted this colony of pogonomyrmex barbatus in the local park where we walked reguarlly.

just thought i'd share a couple pics and my being an ant nerd now getting excited by seeing ants in the wild in a way i didn't before.

They were so huge compared to my colony of pogonomyrmex occidentalis. And most crazy of all was i saw a queen briefly emerge from the nest and immedtly turn around and go back in. Too fast to get a pic of but she was obvious with wings and wide back. I wondered if it was a colony full of alets about to fly or if she was one that never left and would be remaining in the nest as a worker now.

Wide clearning around their space.

IMG_20231208_093644.jpg

and a close up of their front door activty.

IMG_20231208_093744_HDR.jpg

The queen i saw only just emerged enough to be seen at the entrance hole and was gone again just as fast. Was really neat to see her though.

Made me want to keep a colony of them but they ain't a cali ant.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, December 19 2023 - 11:58 AM.

• ANTdrew, 100lols, BleepingBleepers and 1 other like this

#2 Offline 100lols - Posted December 19 2023 - 1:06 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Huge harvesters!!! Love seeing such a beautiful mature nest. Pretty cool you spotted an alate at this time of year. Hopefully she’ll be starting a colony of her own next year. Thanks for sharing, cheers!
  • ANTdrew likes this

#3 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted December 20 2023 - 1:48 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Thanks for the share, that's pretty neat. I don't see many different ant species where I'm at. Need to travel more.

• 100lols likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pogonomyrmex barbatus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users