• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

What do Atta Texana eat?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FranklinKnight - Posted December 15 2023 - 1:10 PM

FranklinKnight

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
I have a colony of Atta texana and there not really eating anything.
Can I feed them anything from the supermarket.
What about any organic fruits or vegetables?
Should they be in hibernation now?
The fungus is the size of a quarter and not getting bigger.
Tim around 75....

#2 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted February 7 2024 - 11:38 AM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.
Some of the supermarket produce could have fungicides or pesticides which affect growth of the colony. If you could find lettuce or cabbage outside of a store, it could work. Wild clovers could work too, some people had success with them.
  • antsinvirgina likes this

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#3 Offline antsinvirgina - Posted February 7 2024 - 11:48 AM

antsinvirgina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationSpringfield

Some of the supermarket produce could have fungicides or pesticides which affect growth of the colony. If you could find lettuce or cabbage outside of a store, it could work. Wild clovers could work too, some people had success with them.

To add, Roses or Oats. 

Edited by antsinvirgina, February 7 2024 - 11:51 AM.

#4 Offline The_Gaming-gate - Posted February 7 2024 - 12:09 PM

The_Gaming-gate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida. USA.

To add, Roses or Oats. 

I'd say the roses, the fungus would have a easier time getting it's roots into it, and would probably get more nutrition from it.

Ants are small creatures... but together... they can rule the world.

#5 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 7 2024 - 12:21 PM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
They can even eat SOME proteins (like feeder insects) because I believe that Atta Texana workers (or any worker or queen in the genus Atta) don’t really consume the fungus as their food source, and typically feed it to their young. But this is just an add on to what was mentioned above (which are all still, very good statements).

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 7 2024 - 12:26 PM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

#6 Offline FormiCanada - Posted February 7 2024 - 12:28 PM

FormiCanada

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

To jumpstart your Atta colony, I would recommend the following:

Environment (Temperature, Humidity & Substrate):

- These ants require a constant temperature of 24-25°C and then also at least 80% Humidity. Small colonies are especially susceptible to dry-outs and the whole thing will crash. It would help if you can show us some photos of your current setup. My rule of thumb with these ants is this : when they're small, go very simple. A simplistic container with a plaster bottom will suffice perfectly for your ants. If your colony isn't eating anything, it may be an environmental factor & not with the food itself.

- I also strongly recommend lots of black earth soil during the foundation phase. The soil will come with its own biome that the starter colony desparately need to get started. You'll also want to get some sheep manure too, as this is fantastic to mix in with black earth (ratio is 25% manure & 75% black earth). Mix this well and believe it or not, you'll have your very own mini-bioculture of organisms to keep your colony healthy. Colonies in this substrate mix have a near 100% success rate based on my findings. 

Food for the Ants: Sugar-water (25% Sugar, 75% Water):

This will relieve the ants from eating the fungus. Although the ants do eat the fungus, they predominantly can suffice on their own without the need for fungus. This means that they'll give it the chance to grow and refortify.

Replacement fungus is hard to find. Avoid honeywater as when it ferments, it can quickly kill your entire colony. 

Food for the Fungus: Fruits & Foliage

These are like a superfood for the fungus:

- Rose petals

- Raspberry leaves

- Rolled Oats

- Raisins

- Dried Mango

- Avocado Leaves

** You CAN use grocery-store product, but make sure it's fresh. Also, when you bring it home, make sure it's well rinsed. 

Excellent foods from the Grocery Store:

- Kale

- Baby spinach

- Salad mixes

- Brussels sprouts (recommended when the colony is older)

Logistics / Arrival:

Have you checked that this colony did not get shipped in +28°C weather? Due to their size, overheated queens of this genus can go sterile if shipped in such heat for prolonged periods of time. 

Post some photos, would love to see how I can help! 

Good luck, 

Edited by FormiCanada, February 7 2024 - 12:32 PM.

#7 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted February 7 2024 - 1:39 PM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Those are fungus ants. They eat their fungus, and in a sense you are more needing to provide a good home to their fungus than to them directly.

They will eat sugar-waters if provided, but they do eat the fungus as their food staple. As well as live in it, and keep brood in it. It's like the home inside the home that they also eat.

If you want to provide natural fruit sugar juices to your ants, be sure and use only organic fruits that have not had any pesticides used on them.

Apple/peach/nectarine slices, cut open blue berries or whatever.

But otherwise you need to supply good forage to feed the fungus. I notice rose and other flower petals are popular among the fungus ant keepers.

But i can't say a lot about these ants in particular, as they are a more advanced ant to keep than i am ready for. I did some homework and passed on these ants as my first.
Due to the nature of keeping the environment right for the fungus, which is what makes them an advanced ant to try and keep. The ants are hardier and able to stand up to greater fluctuations in temperature and humidity, then their fungus can.
And if their fungus dies so will they.

My distill is, the fungus is your primary keeping effort here. If you can sustain the good environment and needs for the fungus, then the ants will probably be fine.

#8 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted February 7 2024 - 1:59 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Assuming you live in Texas, I would try the local foliage.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#9 Offline AntsTopia - Posted February 8 2024 - 5:08 PM

AntsTopia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY and Managua, Nicaragua

No, he doesn't live in Texas. no comment.

Anyway try to feed them any type of leaves in your area. Honestly, not every colony will like the same thing and its usually the plant material with the most nutrients of whatever the fungus needs at this point. Just a theory. Good luck.

Keeper of:

Atta Mexicana x 1

Messor Barbarus x 1

Ants are just better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users