• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Merging Camponotus Floridanus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Invix - Posted December 6 2023 - 5:53 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
I am starting this topic not only because I need it but because I’m sure many will in the future. I recently bought a Camponotus Floridanus colony and gave them a hearth nest. They had 13 workers, and 4 larvae. I feed them mealworm guts and nectar until every ant and the queens gasters were full. Then, 4 days later, I woke up one morning and the queen was BEHEADED and discarded in the trash pile. All the workers were in great shape and everything looked the same except the dead queen. I bought another Floridanus and they will get here soon.

So, I was hoping there was some way to merge these colonies, transferring the alive workers and brood from the dead colony into the new colony with an alive queen. I did some research on merging Camponotus before, I had a Camponotus casteneus colony in the same situation. I tried using the cold technique (put them in a fridge for a day and connect test tubes) and the colonies fought to the death and I was left with about half the workers dying from the acid spray injuries. Any thoughts on how I should do this with my floridanus?
  • 100lols likes this

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted December 6 2023 - 9:52 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

It's highly unlikely the cold technique would work on its own. I've heard of people using vinegar to mask colony scents, but I wouldn't go through the effort to individually dunk every worker into vinegar just to merge colonies. My best bet would just be to take the brood from the remaining workers and boost the new colony with them, if I were you.

Not to mention: if the workers did that to their old queen, what's to stop them from beheading their new queen?

• OhNoNotAgain, rptraut and 100lols like this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted December 6 2023 - 10:35 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

I agree on the beheading comment. Like, maybe those workers are a little deficient? Unless the queen died and THEN was beheaded for being trash. Or was sick or something.

I don't know anything about C. floridanus. It looks like you might be able to merge if you really want to:

https://www.formicul...s-colony-merge/

Some Camponotus are super tolerant. With my CA02, a loose worker will join an existing colony in less than 24 hours (at least with very small colonies). I suspect Camponotus vicinus (at least the variant I have) are similar. From the post above, it seems C. floridanus are less tolerant.

If you aren't trying the gradual approach above:

- It's probably best if a queen has raised up at least one nanitic (at least was true with Myrmecocystus - a queen who'd never had workers apparently doesn't accept new workers)

- If you want to try seeing how a merge would work, you can try introducing ONE worker to the queen's outworld. (If the worker has been without a queen for a while, better)

- Don't be too surprised if the queen's own workers (if any) destroy the new worker

• bmb1bee and 100lols like this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#4 Offline JustabirdfromFlorida - Posted December 8 2023 - 2:34 PM

JustabirdfromFlorida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationJacksonville Florida

it worked for me with two queenless colonies. I left them in the garage over night (it was in the early 40's) it worked pretty well with one major casualty.

Ps. where are you getting these colonies i could really use another colony

Edited by asim, December 8 2023 - 2:36 PM.

• 100lols likes this

#5 Offline Invix - Posted December 9 2023 - 8:37 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Thanks for all the replies!

I decided, to do an experiment, for everyone, and here are the experiment and results:

I decided to combine the colonies without any method just by connecting the test tubes. Immediately one worker ran over to the colony with the queen and took a couple jabs at one of the queens workers and then something crazy happened. As the worker fought the worker from the queen less colony, tropholaxis (That’s not how to spell but whatever) began when they bit each others heads. It lasted for about a minute and by then all queenless workers were feeding the newly arrived workers. So in the end, the colonies combined in about 5 minutes and then I gave them their new hearth nest.

For asim: I got them from my-antics.com

Edited by Invix, December 9 2023 - 8:37 PM.

• OhNoNotAgain and 100lols like this

#6 Offline Invix - Posted December 9 2023 - 8:48 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

It's highly unlikely the cold technique would work on its own. I've heard of people using vinegar to mask colony scents, but I wouldn't go through the effort to individually dunk every worker into vinegar just to merge colonies. My best bet would just be to take the brood from the remaining workers and boost the new colony with them, if I were you.

Not to mention: if the workers did that to their old queen, what's to stop them from beheading their new queen?

The queen was beheading for being dead, i did hours of research through books and websites and never found anything about ants killing their own queen in floridanus. I believe it helps get rid of pheromones somehow, or maybe just is easier to carry to the trash pile.
Here is the best pic I could take.

94-E63048-E121-4-E0-F-AEFE-60-ABBDA9-F90keyboard test software online

The 11 worker queenless colony and the 10 worker colony successfully merged.
  • 100lols likes this

#7 Offline bmb1bee - Posted December 9 2023 - 8:59 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

Just keep an eye on them for the next few days, in case if anything happens. Cool that they managed to merge though.

• 100lols likes this

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#8 Offline 100lols - Posted December 12 2023 - 5:01 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
Still looking like a clean merge?

#9 Offline Invix - Posted December 13 2023 - 12:58 PM

Invix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Yes. Took them out of the nest because I'm moving.

#10 Offline SHmealer - Posted December 15 2023 - 9:19 AM

SHmealer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationFlorida

I have had success with polygynous Floridanus colonies and merging them. Not to long ago i merged a 10 queen colony with a 1 queen colony.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users