• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Lasius Neoniger or Lasius Americanus? Found in Michigan.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted December 2 2023 - 9:45 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

Found in Michigan around Mid September. I really don't know the difference between Neoniger or Americanus and other related species. Hopefully this picture is enough. It is about 8-9mm.

IMG_1177.JPG

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 2 2023 - 12:52 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
By time of year, it’s probably neoniger. Habitat can help, too. L. neoniger favor more open fields, while americanus favor forested areas.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted December 2 2023 - 6:47 PM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

By time of year, it’s probably neoniger. Habitat can help, too. L. neoniger favor more open fields, while americanus favor forested areas.

Sorry for the late reply but I don't think habitat would be a good metric. I have a field in my backyard, but only about 5 feet to the right of my backyard is thick forest. 

#4 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 2 2023 - 6:51 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I still think you can be confident Id’ing this as neoniger based on timing since L. americanus fly much earlier. Here in Virginia, they fly from June to July.
  • rptraut likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#5 Offline Voidley - Posted December 2 2023 - 11:58 PM

Voidley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationNYC

The common name for L. neoniger is actually the labor day ant due to them always having flights around then. Here up north they're pretty much the only non-parasitic lasius species that flies in September.

#6 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted December 3 2023 - 8:54 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Thanks both of you! I'm pretty sure it is Lasius neoniger. I'm pretty sure care is exactly the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users