• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Vacuum forming a Formicarium

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline peptide - Posted November 17 2023 - 2:11 AM

peptide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Has anyone tried vacuum forming a formicarium?

I was thinking of making a formicarium that hangs on the wall. Instead of the opaque walls and a flat transparent cover I was wondering how it would look if you had a flat wall and then vacuum formed tunnels onto it.

I realize the plastic wouldn't be as clear as museum glass but you would be able to see below, above and the side of your ants.

humidity would be handled by the wall. I already have a water pump that drips water to another project --- I could make the wall hollow/sponge, has some tiny holes / mesh into where tunnels are, pump water to the top allowing it to drip down and even hide all the tubing in the wall.

What are you folks thoughts?

Attached Images

• Ant Idea 2.jpg

Edited by peptide, November 17 2023 - 2:34 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 17 2023 - 2:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,418 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can you explain vacuum forming? Seems like you’d have clear bubbles coming out of a wall?
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline peptide - Posted November 17 2023 - 3:22 AM

peptide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Can you explain vacuum forming? Seems like you’d have clear bubbles coming out of a wall?

A Plastic sheet is heated until it is soft then dropped onto a mold (it this case the mold would be in the shape the tunnels, made from wood or clay) and a vacuum quickly sucks away the air causing the plastic to take the exact shape of the mold. The plastic cools and it will then keep the shape of the mold.

Attached Images

• vac.jpeg

• 100lols likes this

#4 Offline Full_Frontal_Yeti - Posted November 17 2023 - 9:08 AM

Full_Frontal_Yeti

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

I'd avoid use of plastics for such myself.

I recently made a top down view perfect cast nest and got a plexi top for it instead of glass, at the urging of a frame shop worker where i was buying the glass.
But i found out that the heated and humidified nest inside vs. the not heated and not humidified outside. Caused the plexi to warp and gap. I had to replace it with glass after one weekend.

Plastics in general are not going to stand up well to longer term ongoing heat. And clear plastics will commonly become hazy/tinted, eventually becoming brittle and easily broken.

Edited by Full_Frontal_Yeti, November 17 2023 - 9:09 AM.

• 100lols likes this

#5 Offline 100lols - Posted November 19 2023 - 4:45 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I’d like to see the design come to life. Makes sense and should be doable if you have what’s needed for vacuum forming the chambers.

How would you heat the nest?

#6 Offline antsriondel - Posted November 20 2023 - 7:28 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

I'd avoid use of plastics for such myself.

I recently made a top down view perfect cast nest and got a plexi top for it instead of glass, at the urging of a frame shop worker where i was buying the glass.
But i found out that the heated and humidified nest inside vs. the not heated and not humidified outside. Caused the plexi to warp and gap. I had to replace it with glass after one weekend.

Plastics in general are not going to stand up well to longer term ongoing heat. And clear plastics will commonly become hazy/tinted, eventually becoming brittle and easily broken.

I agree with this but I will fight for the other side in this case. I believe that yes over a prolonged period of time the plastic will beginning to warp. In other cases Ihave seen plastic last for years under heat with no warping whatsoever. As long as you take precautions in reinforcing the plastic. Just my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users