• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Care help for North American myrmica?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline michiganantsinmyyard - Posted November 1 2023 - 8:29 AM

michiganantsinmyyard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationCommerce Township, Michigan

I caught a myrmica queen of unidentified species during September. I currently have her housed in a test tube setup, with an outworld, and she is currently in hibernation. 

All care guides and forums on myrmica are about the european myrmica rubra, which is definitely not the species I have caught.

I've already tried identification on reddit, and many people have already said identification is impossible without a microscope, so I am fine not knowing the exact species.

If anyone has experience with North American myrmica, please share! I am excited to care for this little queen.

• 100lols likes this

#2 Offline DRpepper - Posted November 1 2023 - 10:23 AM

DRpepper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

These guys are really easy. They don't even need an out world when founding just keep her 70f-80f and feed her protein and sugar once a week and she will do great. Obviously clean out any food she doesn't eat. Once she gets workers they act as any other colony. 

• Manitobant and 100lols like this

#3 Offline rptraut - Posted November 2 2023 - 10:03 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Hello Michiganantsinmyyard;

I ran into the same identification problem when I caught a number of Myrmica queens a couple of years ago.  I think I have three different kinds but they all act relatively the same.   They are probably the easiest ants to look after that I have.  They eat almost anything, including chicken, liver, turkey, raw pork, as well as most insects.  Their favorite of all is dog food.  The canned stuff you buy at the dollar store.   These ants are usually all business.  They don't seem to waste a lot of time foraging when they know that every night, I bring them something to eat, at which point they swarm out of every hole in their nest to see what I've brought.  Once they've packed it off to the nest, they go back to tending their brood.  

They're very calm in the nest while being observed.  In the outworld, if they're surprised and they can't quickly hide, they'll freeze.  They'll also play dead.  They aren't determined to escape every minute and mineral oil keeps them very well contained.   Good luck with yours.

RPT

• 100lols likes this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users