• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Outworld Design Feature Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 21 2023 - 12:20 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Hi all!

So, I'm looking to designing outworlds to be custom injection moulded and relatively widely commercialized (sold with nests, supplies, etc) in the next 2 years. Currently, we're working out some issues in design, and I wanted to grab some feedback or suggestions on what everyone here would like to see more often!

So far, the following features are what we've been looking at

- Predrilled holes for formicarium connections

- Hanging rim on the inside for fluon application

- Rounded edges for stronger ability to withstand shipping damages, and to prevent ants from climbing up corners or ledges.

- Top ventilation which will maintain a drier and more well ventilated outworld.

Tentative

- Cross ventilation?

Right now, sizing looks to be something around 10cm (4 inch) cubes, and then a size which is closer to 20cm x 15cm (8 inches by 6 inches approx). The size of the larger nest is currently very, very tentative, as it will be intended as an "upgrade" from the smaller size. 

Currently the plastics we're looking at will be acrylic or polycarbonate (e.g. more durable and clearer than most outworlds on the market now)

I do still have to keep in mind the costs involved, so I might not be able to include everything, but if you guys have any ideas or just things you want to see in a foraging area customized for ants, please let me know!

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted October 21 2023 - 1:13 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Don't integrate the lip into the tub, make it a seperate frame. Applying Fluon upside down doesn't really work that well and turning the outworld upside down, well... usually isn't an option. Also makes production a lot easier.

Edited by Serafine, October 21 2023 - 1:13 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline Canadian anter - Posted October 22 2023 - 10:15 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Don't integrate the lip into the tub, make it a seperate frame. Applying Fluon upside down doesn't really work that well and turning the outworld upside down, well... usually isn't an option. Also makes production a lot easier.

Interesting, do you mean like a 2 part lid?

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users