• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cinnamon in fruit fly media, harmful to ants?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted October 16 2023 - 10:01 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Cinnamon is commonly used in fruit fly media (their food) because it helps prevent mold.

However, I'm reading that ants avoid cinnamon and therefore think it might be bad for them.

So I'm wondering, anyone breed fruit flies for their ants and use cinnamon? Any negative effects on their health?

Since the larvae and sometimes the adults will eat the media and then they get eaten by the ants, I wonder if that'll be an issue.

I've been using like 1/4th teaspoon of cinnamon to fill the bottom of a 32 oz jar, there's like an inch deep of media. So I don't think it's a lot of cinnamon.

Edited by BleepingBleepers, October 16 2023 - 10:07 PM.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 17 2023 - 2:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I doubt it will harm the ants as it moves up the food chain. I say just use vinegar to prevent mold, though.
  • 100lols and BleepingBleepers like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted October 19 2023 - 12:30 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I have been using cinnamon for the past two years in my fruit fly cultures and have been using these flies to feed my ants, particularly my ponerine i.e. carnivorous species and have had no problems.  I have not observed any issues with fruit flies with cinnamon included in the culture medium.  Upshot, don't worry nor overthink this.

• BleepingBleepers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users