• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Queen not moving from moldy setup?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZATrippit - Posted October 16 2023 - 12:11 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Hey all!
As the title suggests, my iridomyrmex queen isn't moving from her moldy test tube. She has one batch of eggs which she recently laid. I have attached another clean test tube to her setup but she is just staying in her moldy one.

It's been two days-- have I just not been patient enough? Could it be that since the eggs haven't hatched, she's still in complete isolation mode (iridomyrmex are fully claustral)?

I don't really want to shine a light on her to encourage a move, as I really wouldn't like to stress her out. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Also, in the attached photo the eggs are hiding behind her (they are very small, to the point I initially thought they were just a wad of cotton haha)
Thanks!

Attached Images

• 20231016_205213.jpg

FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#2 Offline Serafine - Posted October 16 2023 - 12:59 AM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

That's not even real mold, it's probably just ant poop.

Brown/black mold usually isn't really a problem, like this is perfectly fine.

Actually, even this is perfectly fine as long as they have an alternative water source (like a liquid feeder).

I would probably offer a fresh tube, and definitely not send them into hibernation in that one, but even that amount of mold really isn't an immediate problem.

Your tube is perfectly fine.

Edited by Serafine, October 16 2023 - 1:09 AM.

• ANTdrew, antsriondel, AntsCali098 and 1 other like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#3 Offline antsriondel - Posted October 16 2023 - 6:45 AM

antsriondel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • LocationRiondel British Columbia Canada.

Yeah that's not mold.

#4 Offline ZATrippit - Posted October 16 2023 - 9:48 AM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ

That's not even real mold, it's probably just ant poop.

Brown/black mold usually isn't really a problem, like this is perfectly fine.

Actually, even this is perfectly fine as long as they have an alternative water source (like a liquid feeder).
I would probably offer a fresh tube, and definitely not send them into hibernation in that one, but even that amount of mold really isn't an immediate problem.

Your tube is perfectly fine.

Thank you!
You say to offer a fresh tube, but I already have.
FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#5 Offline Serafine - Posted October 16 2023 - 12:14 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany
Thank you!
You say to offer a fresh tube, but I already have.

Nah, I meant the Lasius in the last picture (the one with the really black cotton).

Your tube is perfectly fine, no need for a fresh tube.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users