• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone know anything about projectors, speakers, and microphone setups?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Crystals - Posted August 25 2015 - 9:53 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

I have been asked to do some research on finding a system with 2 projectors, at least 6 new speakers, at least 2 new microphones (or compatible with our old ones), and some sort of control station/software for our small church.

Our church currently has old speakers tied to two corded microphones and that is it (and they are at least 50 years old). The main room is about 40 feet by 60 feet, we will need one additional speaker in two different rooms.  Our church has a max seating of 250.

All I can think of is to get a computer, add two monitors to it and tie the 2 projectors to the one monitor (so I have the second monitor to manage the music and volumes). I have used a simple plug and play projector with my personal computer before, but when it comes to speakers and microphones and volume controls for those I am utterly lost.

We are looking at posting song lyrics, verses, and stuff like that on the wall.  Microphones to be used by the people leading the service (no choir or groups singing - although the ability of the system to upgrade for this later would be a bonus).  We have a grant of $8000.

Any advice or tips?

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted August 25 2015 - 10:26 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
I did this for a church once. Room size and viewing distance are most important factors. Online calculators will help you determine an appropriate screen size, and that helps determine projector throw distance. Brightness is important to compensate for ambient lighting. You should definitely be able to buy all these things within budget.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline Crystals - Posted August 25 2015 - 11:25 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I have a lot of things to find out, and I am trying to get a list together.  (Such as screen size)

Did they actually use a computer or laptop, or something else all together?

Can you think of any things that can be included that would be nice for future use (such as guitar plug in or something?).  I have never paid attention to speakers before, as I was never one for loud music.  :D

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#4 Offline Subverted - Posted August 25 2015 - 1:07 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I can ask my dad for some input on this for you. He sings in his church choir and knows sound equipment pretty well.

As far as I know projectors are usually run off a laptop just for the sake of being portable and easy to move out of the way. Sound booths are not always the most spacious!

How big is the church (room size + weekly attendance)?

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#5 Offline Crystals - Posted August 25 2015 - 1:32 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

The room is about 40 feet from the front to the back, and 60 feet from side to side.  There will be a projector on each side of the altar on the front wall.

The church is more than willing to build an elevated stand for the person controlling everything (likely just big enough for a desk and a computer with 2-3 screens).

I have no idea how to tie in the different speakers/microphones with the ability to alter the volume on each one.  I assume there is a special software that does this. 

I am trying to track down the tech person for another local church as they supposedly have a pretty good system.  I have always been told, look at at least 3 different setups and then think hard about what you need and what you might want in the near future.  So I am looking for tips and guidance from several sources.

My Colonies

#6 Offline Subverted - Posted August 26 2015 - 7:42 PM

Subverted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Getting advice from different places is a great idea. Whoever told you to do this that way was looking out for you!

I am pretty sure most speaker/microphone control setups are hardware based not software. You would probably have the soundboard/audio mixer and projection systems running side by side but not interacting with each other.

Also, depending on the acoustics of the room you may find you need to add in some sound dampening panels to the back wall/corners so don't get too frustrated if things arent perfect at the start! I don't have a ton of experience with this but I know it can take some finessing to get sound setups operating at their peak.

Good luck

My ants | My free feeder design | PM or email me if you need and 3d printing, cnc machining, or manufacturing done: http://www.lrmachining.com

Make your own mold/fungus/bacteria resistant test tube water! Don't get ripped off! Read my simple guide: http://www.formicult...-simple-how-to/

"Self-education is, I firmly believe, the only kind of education there is." - Isaac Asimov

#7 Offline Crystals - Posted August 26 2015 - 7:46 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Thanks.

Good to know that we may need dampening panels.

That room was built for good acoustics, before the microphones and speakers were installed.  A person reading with a raised voice in a quiet room can be heard by most people anywhere in the room with no issues.

My Colonies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users