• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NZ Queen ID

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline ZATrippit - Posted October 3 2023 - 4:03 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ

Hey all! Found my first Queen today. I'm in the North Island of New Zealand. Found her in my backyard, so I assume she is simply a subterranean species as that's all I've observed. I know the photos aren't the best, so I'll note some other details:

- Her feet and antennae are red at the tip

- She does not appear to have a stinger

- Her abdomen has milky white stripes

- Her wings have an reddish-brown tinge

- She has small, reddish-brown mandibles

- 5mm in length

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I've made some more observations on the nuptial flight patterns. The alates don't seem to fly or swarm the ground, but instead have just scaled my wall to try and find each other. There are also only about 4-6 females and about 4 males present at any given time, and after mating they leave and seem to get replaced by other alates. It's been going on for the whole day (it's now 4PM). Some alates also have more iridescent wings as opposed to reddish-brown.

Attached Images

• 20231004_125007.jpg
  • 20231004_124100.jpg
  • 20231004_123702.jpg
  • 20231004_125021.jpg

Edited by ZATrippit, October 3 2023 - 7:06 PM.

FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#2 Offline ZATrippit - Posted October 3 2023 - 4:17 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ
Looking at it now, I'm afraid I might have been too late! I've found about 5 queens, all with wings, and a male. Oof!

Edit: Not too late, this nuptial flight has just been slow and drawn out. It's still going on about 3 hours later! Observed a queen while mating and caught her after she finished the deed.

Edited by ZATrippit, October 3 2023 - 6:58 PM.

FROM NEW ZEALAND YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!Species I have:3x Iridomyrmex undescribed2x Ochetellus glaberFree Queen Ants- 100% Legit (not a scam):<p>https://blogs.mtdv.m...free-queen-ants

#3 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted October 3 2023 - 4:46 PM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I think Iridomyrmex but take this with a grain of salt I don't know new Zealand ants very well.

#4 Offline ZATrippit - Posted October 3 2023 - 5:10 PM

ZATrippit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationWaikato, NZ

I think Iridomyrmex but take this with a grain of salt I don't know new Zealand ants very well.

You could be right, I doubt it's Monomorium antarcticum as their nuptial flights don't occur until late summer. I will say, however, NO ONE knows NZ ants very well. It makes my life very tough. Thanks!

Edited by ZATrippit, October 5 2023 - 4:58 PM.

#5 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted October 3 2023 - 6:12 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)

Probably irodymyrmex

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users