• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help! queen paralyzed legs, please respond.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Hiromilovesmealworms - Posted September 25 2023 - 12:28 PM

Hiromilovesmealworms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Hello, my Formica Incerta queen's back legs are paralyzed, and for some reason she is having trouble moving around. She has one nanitic, and around 7 larvae.

This morning I found her on her back, and helped her get up by tilting the tube. Later that day, I took her out of the test tube and realized that her two back legs are paralyzed, 

and only uses her front four legs. I am so scared. Can someone please help? She was normal before. I recently moved them to a new test tube. 

Also, I noticed that when she is spooked because of sudden vibrations, she pees a yellow liquid. Could this be related to her legs?

#2 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 25 2023 - 1:02 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

It's possible that she might be sick/poisoned. The best you can do right now is to provide them good care and hope they recover. Checking on her less often may help, especially if she's being stressed out.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#3 Offline Hiromilovesmealworms - Posted September 25 2023 - 1:14 PM

Hiromilovesmealworms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thank you for responding, I have a question. Do you think she might have poisoned herself by spraying formic acid or something? If so, what should I do? 

#4 Offline bmb1bee - Posted September 25 2023 - 2:35 PM

bmb1bee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationHayward, CA

It might be, but I'm not sure why that would happen now that she has workers.

"Float like a butterfly sting like a bee, his eyes can't hit what the eyes can't see." - Muhammad Ali

Check out my shop and Camponotus journal! Discord user is bmb1bee if you'd like to chat.

#5 Offline Manitobant - Posted September 25 2023 - 4:08 PM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Sometimes I've found if you have a queen with only one paralyzed leg and she is otherwise perfectly healthy you can perform an “amputation” and remove the dead limb. I wouldn’t do that in your case since you said both her back legs are paralyzed, but its something to think about and I've saved queens who were having trouble walking/moving around this way.

#6 Offline Hiromilovesmealworms - Posted September 25 2023 - 5:46 PM

Hiromilovesmealworms

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thank you guys, I know she probably won't make it, but you guys make me feel better. I hope I can catch some queens at Yosemite because I'm going there for my school trip in two weeks. Pretty late in the year, but are there any species that fly in early October?(Yosemite area California)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users