• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Parasitic Wasp Lays Eggs Through Plastic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Online ConcordAntman - Posted September 21 2023 - 3:39 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

That the minuscule Eupelmus messene appears to be able to drill through plastic with its ovipositor is amazing! Kudos to this kid for his work!

https://www.nytimes....ce=articleShare

• ANTS_KL and 100lols like this

#2 Offline leo34 - Posted December 12 2023 - 6:16 AM

leo34

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,

I was fascinaated by the article you shaared about the Eupelmus messene and its ability to drill through plastic. Nature truly never ceases to amaze with its incredible adaptations! On a somewhat related note, I've been dealing with a bit of a challenge in my own space. I've noticed an increased presence of wasps or hornets around, and it's been a bit unnerving. I aadmire the resilience of these creatures, but when they come aa bit too close, it doess raise some cooncerns.I've been on the lookouut for effective solutionns, and I've recently come accross a wasp control product that's been recommended to address such situations. It's reassuring to know that there might be ways to coexist peacefully.

Has anyonne here dealt with a similar situation, and if so, what strategies or products have you found effective in managing wasps or hornets? I'd love to hear your insights and experiences.

Thanksss!

Best,
leo34

Edited by leo34, February 19 2024 - 10:52 PM.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 12 2023 - 2:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wasps will not bother you if you do not bother them. Just give them space. They are a natural part of the ecosystem.
  • rptraut likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline rptraut - Posted December 13 2023 - 7:12 PM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada
Dear leo34;

This past summer we had two yellow jacket wasp nests in the outside walls of my workshop, making it impossible to spray them. So, we decided to coexist with them and I enjoyed watching their comings and goings. We walked past them several times every day and even though we had family reunions and other gatherings, not a single person got stung and only one person even noticed there were wasps living there. And their entrances were at chest and waist height right where we walk. I think that if they get used to people being around, they won’t be as much of a problem.

We also had bumblebee nests (four of them) in separate areas around our deck and patio. Again, no negative experiences once I convinced the dog to stop catching and eating them. If you’re concerned about stings, keep ice packs and antihistamine on hand and/or an epipen for allergic reactions. But mostly, just stay out of their way and leave them alone.

Killing the problem isn’t really coexisting peacefully.
RPT
  • ANTdrew, bmb1bee, Voidley and 1 other like this
My father always said I had ants in my pants.

#5 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 14 2023 - 5:55 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I mean, leo34, you could just get acrobat ants.

• Yourbasicantkeeper likes this

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users