• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Ant Species Alliances?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 23 2015 - 7:10 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

I read a highly unusual post from someone about a Forelius species (http://antfarm.yuku....mc#.VdqFQfZVhHw), ... 

"The next day, the Argentine ants completely ignore the Forelius ants (they don't even try to take their nest over or even attempt to attack them, just defend) and attack the Solenopsis xyloni colony instead. They fail to break through and...the Forelius actually come to DEFEND the S. xyloni and kill more Argentine ants." --Vendayn

The part that caught my attention was that "the Forelius actually come to DEFEND the S. xyloni".  Are such inter-species alliances documented anywhere else by reputable sources?

Seeing as how queens cannot communicate with one another, and the workers are hardly ambassadors, I'd have to believe that this alliance is just a perception.  I have a friend that likes to play Real-Time Strategy (RTS) games.  He once became outraged at the artificial intelligence (AI) because it had very cleverly outwitted him by exploiting an obscure hole in his strategy.  Being a software engineer, and also having significant familiarity with that particular game, I knew that the exploitation was actually just a coincidence - a mere time-plus-chance scenario - and that the AI was actually not all that clever at all.  I'd be tempted to think that that's what's going in in this perception of an alliance.  There's something fundamentally simple occurring in his observation, but we would tend to perceive it as an inter-species ant alliance.

I'd like to know what do you think!

~Dan

~Dan

#2 Offline kellakk - Posted August 23 2015 - 8:07 PM

kellakk

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

I agree with you, I highly doubt that workers of one species would defend those of another unless there is some benefit.  We interpret observations through the lens of humanity, which can make our explanations for simple things like the actions of ants overly complex.

• ctantkeeper and LC3 like this

Current Species:
Camponotus fragilis

Novomessor cockerelli

Pogonomyrmex montanus

Pogonomyrmex rugosus

Manica bradleyi

#3 Offline Foogoo - Posted August 23 2015 - 8:40 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Have there been studies documented how ants differentiate species? I imagine it's more than just scent. Would it be possible to slowly introduce two colonies together to live harmoniously, of the same species, and of different species?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#4 Offline LC3 - Posted August 23 2015 - 9:34 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Have there been studies documented how ants differentiate species? I imagine it's more than just scent. Would it be possible to slowly introduce two colonies together to live harmoniously, of the same species, and of different species?

Um how about parasitic species? Do those count?

Maybe unrelated to topic but how about mirror turtle ants? (Cephalotes specularis) They don't live or depend on their host (Crematogaster) but instead "spy" on them, the Crematogaster find food and than the C.specularis "spies" see them and send in some workers who mimic and blend in with the Crematogaster to steal their food.

#5 Offline Alza - Posted August 23 2015 - 10:00 PM

Alza

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  • LocationThe Village

I don't see it as impossible for ant alliances to exist. But from what I have seen - Unless there is a lack of food, and competition is necessary, ants will fight for whatever they need to survive. If the environment sustains the colonies living in that area, it should be fine, but if an aggressive ant species, like linepithema humile attacks another ant colony, its possible that the forelius just attacked the colony releasing more aggressive pheromones, while avoiding contact with the xyloni. Its also possible that the solenopsis xyloni gaster flagged any forelius that came near it, which stopped the forelius from attacking them.

• LC3 likes this

#6 Offline Vendayn - Posted August 24 2015 - 10:33 AM

Vendayn

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I found it ended being more likely the Forelius saw the Argentine ants as a major #1 threat, and the Solenopsis xyloni were a bit more of a coincidence in what happened.

With that said, if I recall correctly, the Forelius did end up winning to begin with. But, the valley had a tons of new housing built and the area became too irrigated. The Argentine ants probably won by now, sadly due to the irrigation. I don't even want to go back to the valley to look. It isn't much of a nature area anymore.

But, yeah. It was probably more the Forelius being aggressive and when the Argentine ants were attacking the S. xyloni, it was probably just barely within the Forelius territory and they went to attack to defend their "land". Like I said, probably the Argentine ants were seen as a major threat and didn't have much to do with the Solenopsis xyloni.

#7 Offline William. T - Posted August 24 2015 - 11:48 AM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I found it ended being more likely the Forelius saw the Argentine ants as a major #1 threat, and the Solenopsis xyloni were a bit more of a coincidence in what happened.

With that said, if I recall correctly, the Forelius did end up winning to begin with. But, the valley had a tons of new housing built and the area became too irrigated. The Argentine ants probably won by now, sadly due to the irrigation. I don't even want to go back to the valley to look. It isn't much of a nature area anymore.

But, yeah. It was probably more the Forelius being aggressive and when the Argentine ants were attacking the S. xyloni, it was probably just barely within the Forelius territory and they went to attack to defend their "land". Like I said, probably the Argentine ants were seen as a major threat and didn't have much to do with the Solenopsis xyloni.

With T. Sessile in my area, they are not good fighters, but instead take all the food. So the Tetramorium SpE make sure to kill them first, and the neighboring Pheidole seems to jump in the fray. Neither ants nor ant keepers like that species.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

#8 Offline Works4TheGood - Posted August 24 2015 - 5:00 PM

Works4TheGood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationState College, PA

Yesterday, I turned over a rock along side a trail and found what I believe was some species of Lasius that was partial parasitized by another Lasius species.  There were black and yellow ants working side-by-side frantically attempting to remove the queen's young from exposure.  I just thought it was really cool and I wondered how often ant-loving folks saw this in nature.

Regardless, I conceptually love the idea that ants would team up against a common enemy, but such stories seem incredibly rare in nature because it requires intelligence and courage triumphing over raw instinct.  Here's a great example - that famous Youtube video where the African buffalo finally saves its young from the lion (and crocodile) https://www.youtube....h?v=LU8DDYz68kM.

~Dan

#9 Offline William. T - Posted August 24 2015 - 5:14 PM

William. T

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWestern Maryland

I guess ants are different from species. They lead lives based on cold logic, and if their worst enemy is in an even match with a lesser evil, why not destroy the enemy, especially if you can't on your own? Ants are different, and have different chemical signatures. Do we talk to orangutans? That's the same for ants. They calculate, and compare the odds.

Species I keep:

1 Lasius cf. Neoniger 30 workers

1 Camponotus sp. 15 workers

20 Tetramorium SpE 30 workers

1 T. Sessile 200 workers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users