• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My ants are death spiraling!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 19 2023 - 7:46 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
My Crematogaster scutellaris were just upgraded from a small round outworld, to a larger round outworld. A bunch of workers had escaped, so I dumped them all into the new outworld...and they started doing the endless death spiral.
Some of them are finding their way into and out of the nest, but a ton of them are just walking in an endless circle along the walls of the outworld. I tried wiping the sides of the outworld with alcohol to destroy their scent trail...but they ended up just going back at it again after about 10 minutes. How do I make them stop?!

VideoCapture_20230819-173722.jpg VideoCapture_20230819-173743.jpg

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 19 2023 - 8:07 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
Use vinegar I think it works better. Wipe it over their trail and make sure it's thick enough.

#3 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 19 2023 - 9:23 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Also direct a fan over the outworld. They will seek shelter in the nest.
  • 100lols likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#4 Offline katzenhai2 - Posted August 19 2023 - 5:20 PM

katzenhai2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Why do you call it the "death spiral"? Do they drop dead after a while?

#5 Offline ANTS_KL - Posted August 19 2023 - 5:25 PM

ANTS_KL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Yes, they walk themselves to death, using up all their energy to just walk around. In the wild, these spirals can last for days and usually end up dissipating by themselves. But there are still many cases of all the ants, or at least most of them, dying from exhaustion. At least that's what I remember reading. 

Young ant keeper with a decent amount of knowledge on local ant species.

YouTube: https://m.youtube.co...uKsahGliSH7EqOQ (It's pretty dead. Might upload again soon, don't expect my voice to sound the same though.)

Currently kept ant species, favorites have a star in front of their names (NOT in alphabetical order, also may be outdated sometimes): Camponotus irritans inferior, Ooceraea biroi, Pheidole parva, Nylanderia sp., Paraparatrechina tapinomoides, Platythyrea sp., Anochetus sp., Colobopsis sp. (cylindrica group), Crematogaster ferrarii, Polyrhachis (Myrma) cf. pruinosa, Polyrhachis (Cyrtomyrma) laevissima, Tapinoma sp. (formerly Zatapinoma)

Death count: Probably over a hundred individual queens and colonies by now. I cannot recall whatsoever.

#6 Offline FelixTheAnter - Posted August 20 2023 - 2:22 AM

FelixTheAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
Okay, I used a fan to get them all into the nest, then wiped over all the walls very well with a bunch of vinegar. Kept the fan on till it dried. Then went to bed.

They're back at it this morning! Just endlessly walking around the walls.

#7 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 20 2023 - 3:24 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,499 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Do they have plenty of nectar and fresh water to drink? I would keep the fan going gently today to send a strong message that the outworld is outside. If the queen and a core of attendants are in the nest, I think it will be fine. They need to calm down eventually.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#8 Offline Puddingtempest - Posted August 20 2023 - 5:56 AM

Puddingtempest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

facsinating problem.  I wouldn't be panicking though there's plenty of things you can do as a temporary fix.  it's an open top outworld so I assume the barrier is working well? PTFE or talc?  why not put a vertical line of the barrier down the side of the outworld, this would prevent circling.  Worst case scenario send them into the nest with a fan, plug the outworld and replace it with something larger, a different shape, or more natural.  Or put something in there, some digging medium or a tiny plant, preferably something that touches the sides of the glass at different heights.  It's too bleak in there, give them some landmarks.  

Edited by Puddingtempest, August 20 2023 - 5:59 AM.

• ANTdrew and 100lols like this

#9 Offline katzenhai2 - Posted August 20 2023 - 6:56 AM

katzenhai2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Yes, they walk themselves to death, using up all their energy to just walk around. In the wild, these spirals can last for days and usually end up dissipating by themselves. But there are still many cases of all the ants, or at least most of them, dying from exhaustion. At least that's what I remember reading. 

I'm not familiar with this species but is that typical for them in artificial captivity?

If it's just about you having read something somewhere: In that case I would be more relaxed until there are real casualties. Unfortunately it's true that a lot is written but much of it is not always accurately comprehensible from keeper to keeper.

Based on the images I would also say that the outworld seems a bit small for so many ants. They need stimulation! By introducing vertical elements such as (artificial) plants you can increase the surface area and consequently expand their foraging paths. This would provide more opportunities to engage and entertain them.

Example:
95.jpg

Edited by katzenhai2, August 20 2023 - 7:00 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users