• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Do ants sense any electricity on the metal probes of thermostats?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 18 2023 - 12:45 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

I never really thought about it until today when I have the metal temperature probe from my thermostat inside the enclosure.

One or two of the ants are attacking it quite a bit, like darting around like crazy and lunging forward and backing off and darting around, quite crazy. I did rub my finger on it but is it because the probe is emitting electricity and the ants are picking up on it?

Do they get use to it or are some of them going to continue reacting to it like that?

If it stays that bad I gotta remove it then, I thought I saw someone had a probe in with their ants, didn't know that was a thing.

Edit: Additional question: Will putting the probe on the magnetic ends of the mini hearths cause any issue, like false readings especially in the long run or damage the probe? I never knew the ants would react so violently to a probe....kinda threw a wrench into my plans a bit.

Edited by BleepingBleepers, August 18 2023 - 1:08 PM.

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#2 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 19 2023 - 12:40 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • LocationGermany

I know that some species have a magnetic sense which helps them in navigation.

Yes, any electrical current produces magnetic fields and therefore these ants will be able to sense it.

If ants can get used to it?

It is now up to you to find out. I do not think there are any studies about that.

Please report back, so we all can learn.

As for the physics and electrician question- no idea.  But my gut tells me it is possible the magnets can influence the probe.

• BleepingBleepers likes this

#3 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 19 2023 - 6:59 AM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Think I've found a solution that might appease to both the ants and me wanting to have the probe inside the formicarium where the temperature actually matters).

I'm updating my CA02 journal later and will post a pic. The REAL test / result is about to happen in a few minutes, we'll see.

• Ernteameise and 100lols like this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users