• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Anyone OCD counting their new ant colonies multiple times a day?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 12 2023 - 4:27 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Just a chit chatty topic but anyone got the same issue as I do in counting their ants multiple times a day?

I got my ants a month and a half ago, new colony with a queen in her founding test tube and I've gotten new worker ants since.

I just got this nagging issue of wanting to count my nanitics and making sure they're all still there. Do it before work, after work and couple times during the weekend. The more workers, the more I have to count but I gotta make sure they're all there and accounted for. Like the daily classroom roll call except it happening at least two times a day. Many times a lot more than I want to admit. :blush:

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#2 Offline 100lols - Posted August 12 2023 - 7:23 PM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I really want to lol. But I try to minimize the disturbances, as hard as that is… Counting your queen's nanitics daily just might not be necessary and could potentially disturb the colony a bit too much. It's generally recommended to minimize disturbances to an ant colony as they establish their nest and activities.

Instead, I observe them periodically to track their growth on a spreadsheet. Checking on them once a week or every few days should suffice outside of feedings? I just feel bad causing the ladies unnecessary stress… my self control has grown immensely since I started keeping ants.

But I understand where you’re coming from… I probably check on things a bit more than I’d like to admit as well :P
  • AntsCali098 likes this

#3 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 12 2023 - 9:19 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
For optimal growth, it should be fine to check your colonies once or twice a day. With founding queens, it's fine to check once every 5 or so days.

Its super hard to do this, but for the very best growth, let your founding queens stay undisturbed for a month or so.

Edited by AntsCali098, August 12 2023 - 9:19 PM.

• 100lols likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#4 Offline BleepingBleepers - Posted August 12 2023 - 10:42 PM

BleepingBleepers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Ahem...  :D 

Based on my setup that I have in my journal, the majority of the time, they don't even know I'm checking on them. All I have to do is look down and see them, can see them straight through the glass/plastic. Colony is 4 months old now give or take, they're a lot less skittish, more like fat and napping most of the time.

Just thought it would be a fun topic to see if anyone else is counting like I am, that's all.

But good looking out!

• 100lols likes this

JOURNAL: Camponotus CA02 - First Time At Ant Keeping CLICK HERE

JOURNAL: Ectomomyrmex cf. astutus - Ant Species #2 CLICK HERE

#5 Offline AntsCali098 - Posted August 12 2023 - 11:01 PM

AntsCali098

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • LocationLong Beach, California (SoCal)
Colonies can also be trained to have less stress in light, they can get used to it. Obviously, some species stress a lot more then others do it can be harder to train say pogonomrymex then camponotus.
  • 100lols likes this

Interested buying in ants? Feel free to check out my shop

Feel free to read my journals, like this one.

Wishlist:

Atta sp (wish they were in CA), Crematogaster cerasi, Most Pheidole species

#6 Offline 100lols - Posted August 13 2023 - 2:05 AM

100lols

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA
I must admit my setup does not allow me to peek at the ladies as easy. I open a cabinet door which exposes light into an otherwise always dark space. Much more intrusive 🥲

Personally I’d stare at my ants all day if I could. I take videos and watch them over and over again lol!
  • BleepingBleepers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users