• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Solenopsis molesta (thief ants)?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Izzy - Posted August 3 2023 - 9:59 PM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUtah

Found what I think are Solenopsis molesta queens (thief ants) tonight under a rock in the mountains. Someone on Reddit thought this is what they were but I thought I'd double check and see what y'all thought. Also, knowing the reputation of fire ants, would I be insane to keep these? Seems like with 5 queens the growth could be explosive. Open to any tips since this is my first year ant keeping and definitely don't want these getting loose.

Attached Images

• Screen Shot 2023-08-03 at 11.55.32 PM.png

• anantdatta likes this

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 4 2023 - 5:01 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
They are Molesta group queens you are good.

#3 Offline Izzy - Posted August 4 2023 - 9:18 AM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUtah

They are Molesta group queens you are good.

Are they just not as intense as the regular fire ants?

#4 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 4 2023 - 9:22 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I don't think they have stingers and if they do they deal no pain and they are tiny. The only thing you have to worry about is that they are tiny and are good at escaping.
  • Izzy likes this

#5 Offline Izzy - Posted August 4 2023 - 10:03 AM

Izzy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationUtah

I don't think they have stingers and if they do they deal no pain and they are tiny. The only thing you have to worry about is that they are tiny and are good at escaping.

Great news! I've got a Monomorium minimum colony so hopefully it'll just be similar! Double fluon barrier needed since they seem to be able to crawl under a Mini Hearth lid.

#6 Offline That_one_ant_guy - Posted August 4 2023 - 10:10 AM

That_one_ant_guy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

molesta workers do indeed have stingers, they only hurt if you leave them on your arm and don't notice for a little while
  • Izzy likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users