• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

AntsAreUs's Aphaenogaster rudis Journal

aphaenogaster aphaenogaster sp. aphaenogaster rudis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted April 28 2018 - 3:06 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

I collected this colony in a nearby woods, as I found at least 15 colonies of various Aphaenogaster spp. There are a really good amount of workers and tons of brood, so much that I can't get a good shot of the queen.

Edited by AntsAreUs, June 26 2018 - 7:30 AM.

• Mettcollsuss and fleetingyouth like this

#2 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted May 16 2018 - 5:08 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

They have even more eggs and tons of small larva now. Some of the larger larva are turning pupa. They are on a seed/almond diet so far and haven't accepted anything else.

Hm68Lin.jpg

#3 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted June 20 2018 - 9:10 AM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

6/20/18

The brood pile on the right is pupa and the one below the queen is larva of various sizes. I have literally only been feeding them almonds which they seem to prefer over most other things I give them.

JItn0b2.jpg

• rdurham02, Mettcollsuss and jsg994 like this

#4 Offline AntsAreUs - Posted July 7 2018 - 6:25 PM

AntsAreUs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • LocationMarion, IN

7/7/18

All the pupa is hatching out. Taking a pic of them in their current tube is kind of useless because all you see is ants covering the ceiling of it. In the midst of chaos in the tube I managed to get pics of the new batches of eggs. I might try to make a nest soon for them. I'd say they are well over a 100 workers now and growing rapidly.

1u39ZG6.jpg

Edited by AntsAreUs, July 7 2018 - 6:26 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphaenogaster, aphaenogaster sp., aphaenogaster rudis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users