• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Frozen crickets turning black.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 2 2023 - 9:31 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I buy crickets for my leopard geckos I first gut load them then freeze them for later, but they turn black. I know it's called insect desiccation but is this bad and if so can it be prevented.

Edited by Virginian_ants, August 2 2023 - 9:50 AM.

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 2 2023 - 9:35 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dubia roaches store much better in the freezer than crickets. They are more nutritious, too.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted August 2 2023 - 9:54 AM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

I've read if you boil them for a few seconds before freezing they won't do that, but I haven't tried it myself.

#4 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 2 2023 - 9:54 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
I buy them from the store and the Dubia's there are juvenile and come in packs of like 10 for much more the price. I have red runner roaches but they don't have a large population right now so I'm trying to let it grow so I'm trying different cheap feeder insects. My roach farm can sustain my lizards but it limits the roaches growth substantially.

#5 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted August 2 2023 - 9:55 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

I've read if you boil them for a few seconds before freezing they won't do that, but I haven't tried it myself.

Ok I will try that next time. (The pet store was out today.)

#6 Offline Ernteameise - Posted August 2 2023 - 10:04 AM

Ernteameise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • LocationGermany

Well, I have observed this, too.

My crickets turn black, too.

But I only buy a packet and freeze and use it up, so I won't store them months on end.

My ants still take the crickets and eat them.

And I assume ants have a much better sense of smell than I do and I am sure they would know if something was off.

So I keep feeding them for now.

Will get new insects next week anyways, and this time, will also try roaches.

So I will find out how that goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users