• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Termite Test Tube Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 24 2023 - 12:03 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA
I've had subterranean termites in a test tube setup for years now and they are probably due for a new one or at least new toilet paper. It's the setup where you just compact wet toilet paper till it fills the test tube. How do I add more or get them out safely into a new setup?

Edited by M_Ants, July 24 2023 - 12:30 PM.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#2 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 24 2023 - 3:05 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,412 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My thought would be to try gently pulling out the whole mass of TP they live in and transfer it into something larger like a petri dish, or a wider test tube with new TP in it.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#3 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 24 2023 - 3:12 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

My thought would be to try gently pulling out the whole mass of TP they live in and transfer it into something larger like a petri dish, or a wider test tube with new TP in it.

I'm afraid they'll get injured. They have tunnels on the edges.

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users