• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help raising patristic Formica

parasitic formica

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Offline antperson24 - Posted July 24 2023 - 7:39 AM

antperson24

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • LocationNorth East Iowa

I juts caught a parasitic Formica queen and was hoping I could get some advice on caring for her. I have heard you just put some Formica fusca group pupae and workers with her and let them get used to each other. Is there more to it or is that it? 

Why keep ants that aren't found in your yard?

There are so many fascinating ants right were you live!

I disagree with the keeping/buying of ants that are not found in your area.

#2 Offline Virginian_ants - Posted July 24 2023 - 8:47 AM

Virginian_ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts
  • LocationCharlottesville, VA
I've been wanting these fit while but can't find queens. I've heard that don't queens open their own cocoons so you don't need workers. I've learned that with parasitic Lasius that I put host workers in the fridge for 20 mins but that never worked but then I forgot I left them in there for 2 hours and they adapted with the queen without a fight and then with another I left them for 1 and they also adapted maybe this is the dang with Formica.
  • antperson24 likes this

#3 Online ANTdrew - Posted July 24 2023 - 9:12 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Here you go:
https://www.formicul...a/?fromsearch=1
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parasitic, formica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users